So the new Mac notebooks came out yesterday...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by G. Ike, Oct 15, 2008.

1. G. Ike

G. Ike TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    ... and I want one. At first I really didn't like the aluminum and glass stylings of the iMac or the redesigned iPods with aluminum casings as opposed to the classic sublime white finishes but they are definitely starting to grow on me. I'm not due for a new computer until 2011 (high school graduation) but I am lusting after the MacBook Pro. :drool:

2. Ls3D

Ls3D TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Highly reflective surfaces don't make the best monitors unless you have a dark environment.. sure looks good, but that reflection.. and why no update for the power mac yet? Nehalem seems ready from the boards I've read... Will be interesting to benchmark the 9600 M graphics though.. and I'm curious to see the LED backlight.. should be very even across the display.

-Shea

3. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

Don't worry, though...Jobsy said no one wants a matte screen, so it must be true. Oh, and apparently HDMI is worthless, and Blu-Ray is a 'Bag of Hurt' that the consumer doesn't want. We've also gone from one too few mouse buttons to none at all, but don't worry it's being replaced by a complex set of gestures that someone who doesn't know Macs will have absolutely no idea what they're doing. Good thing, too, we don't want that kind of rifraff on these pristine machines!

Go Team Apple!

4. G. Ike

G. Ike TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would assume they would update the Mac Pro soon, it's been a while. The LED backlights looked good on the MacBook Air so they should look great on a larger scale. hehe speaking of "I'm a PC" what do you think of those commercials? I don't understand what point is trying to be made, the fact that the majority of people use PC's? Even if I did use a PC, I would still think it's not a very effective ad campaign. And besides, everyone knows your next PC should be a Mac ;)

5. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd say it is a pretty effective ad campaign. They're very well known.

The point of the commercials is that Apple is trying to convince everyone that PC users are old and stuffy, and Apple users are young and hip.

Btw . . . I can't wait for my Lenovo T400 that I ordered last week to come in. :p It's LED backlit, too. ;)

6. G. Ike

G. Ike TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I will agree with you there, I think the multi-touch has gone too far. I use two fingers to scroll, and two to right click on my MacBook and that's fine with me. I'm sure in practice, using x amount of fingers to do this action in this application is ok, but it sounds like overkill on paper. I'm not some kind of fanboy, I just happen to like my Mac.

7. Andrea K

Andrea K TPF Noob!

I LOVE my T61, it's a tank! I have it for school and I can carry it around everywhere. My last notebook, a T60 which I traded in for the T61 this year took quite a few beatings and was still going strong. ABSOLUTE BEAST.

8. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    wooot woooooooot! Good to hear!

9. TUX424

TUX424 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ya go Class of 2011
    I got a macbook from 2 gens ago i like it but i rather have a desktop
    but i really like it b/c it is more than powerful for anything that i need it to do
    its running photoshop CS3 and Aperture 2 with a bunch of other stuff

10. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

It's a matter of choice...If I know the gestures, they're cool, and I want to use them. But if I sit down at a friend's computer, I want to be able to use it like any other computer without a training course! Honestly, I wish multitouch gestures came to more computers, as the scrolling, as well as the rest of these look useful, but I don't want to give up my buttons to do so.

Edit: ANd yes, it's an unbelieveably effective misinformation campaign. Honestly, I haven't seen one of them that's really true or at least valid yet.

11. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was watching the updates from Apple too and wasn't overly impressed. Some of their updates seem cosmetic or gimmicky... like the multi-touch pad and the MacBook Air (basically the entire machine). Plus the prices.... why???? It seems like they take the approach that they'll just tack on an additional 40% so they can appear to be premium machines. I'd definitely consider getting a Mac but when you look at what kind of PC you can get for that same money... it's mind-boggling. Plus I'd rather have a bright-pink, 4 foot tower with daisies stenciled on the side as long as it's functionally a strong machine. Do people seriously by the MacBook Air just because it's thin? I mean... of all of the features who gives a crap?

I love the "I'm a PC" ads. The newer ones have Rashad Evans from the UFC in em too. About time MS grows a pair and starts swinging back at Apple.

Also if you've been watching... Windows 7 which is due out in 4Q09 is supposed to support multi-touch monitors. So you'd have the mouse, keyboard and monitor as input devices. Can't wait to see how Adobe incorporates that into photo editing.

Ok I could go on all about this stuff but I'm stopping myself..... here.

12. Slaphead

Slaphead TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To be honest it's not what they look like that's important for me, it's how easy they are to take apart and put back together, and I have to say, having just read the service manual, these new MacBooks look very easy to work on.

One problem though - in order to replace the keyboard (top case which includes glass trackpad, keyboard etc) you have do completely and utterly dismantle the computer (including display). So people, please be careful with the beer out there.