SO this HDR is really neat but

Are you serious?? If so HDR means High Dynamic Range. This is actually a fairly new deal for me as well but it really means to take multiple images of a scene with varying light levels and contrast ranges and combining them to make one image. So for exmple if you have a sunset scene with a dark foreground and the bright sky behind you can take a shot exposed for the foreground and one for the background and combine these to make a better image. Now that is a synopsis from a total HDR noob so if anyone has any more input bring it on.

Great, thanks! I saw a bunch of people talking about this the past couple of days, and couldn't grasp what it was. That sounds great.

Thanx to everyone that posted the hdr is coming along !

If you really want to see some good HDR pics, check out some of the posts from Mohain, Sw1tchfx, and of course Woodsac. Their images made my jaw drop open.

Most creators of HDR images will tell you that its a somewhat tedious process and requires a bit of patience to get used to it. So, give yourself enough time to master if you really want to learn. I have yet to spend any real time learning it, but it interests me greatly.

The Katrina pictures are just.... wrong really.
The picture that flyingpanther posted is a great example.

I took some pictures today that made me realize just how different a camera sees things from our human eyeballs.
A good hdr will look realistic and like you're actually standing in front of it.
Of course some of the surreal ones are nice, ones that remind you of a dream, but they're not really everyday pictures in my opinion. vbmenu_register("postmenu_952915", true);

some very good advice here, im trying to learn how to use hdr to get realistic shots like flyingpanther.. i do kinda like the cartoony affect that i have seen around flikr.. but i still like my dark vibrant colours :)

The Katrina pictures are just.... wrong really.
The picture that flyingpanther posted is a great example.

);

What's so wrong about them? Just a different style I think

Having done my share of HDR shots I can say that you should be carefull where you use it. A large percentage of the time a HDR shot will make the scene look worse then a properly exposed and processed non-HDR shot. HDR adds noise. I found the best application for it is for scene where a single shot can't show the dynamic range from bright to dark. So where a portion of the image is very bright and another dark.

I find it hard to believe and HDR image would make a scene look worse unless you're poorly post-processing the image.. You're only adding more dynamic range which should have no bearing on noise the image should have given you've executed the technique correctly.

All HDR's I've ever made looked as good or better than a single properly exposed image.

Most reactions

Back