So.. this is a rant about a model who didn't pay for a shoot and expects un-watermarked images.

NedM

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
lgAsIT2.jpg

The way my business is structured is if a person pays me for a photo shoot I give that person their photos in full resolution and not watermarked and a print release along with their package. And if you don't pay for a shoot, I watermark the images with my logo.

The only reason I watermark my photos to those who did not pay for a shoot is to protect the photos from unauthorized use or printing. Even if they are used in such a way, my watermark assures me that I at least get advertisement.

Last week I had a shoot with a wonderful aspiring model. She didn't pay. It was a simple 'time for photos' shoot. Which meant, she would receive digital copies of the photos from the shoot as compensation. Of course she didn't pay so I watermarked the photos. She stated that she could not send the photos to her agency because they were deemed 'useless'. I then explained to her that I could license her the photos for use and the price of the license would depend on the what the photos would be used for and how long for.

She then said that other photogs she had TFP shoots with did not watermark their photos. I simply said, "I'm sorry, other photogs are different, it's just how I run my business." I mean, I don't get it. If I gave everyone who didn't pay for a shoot full resolution un-watermarked images then I would be losing out on potential revenue.

Afterwards, she went on to tell me that business with me will no longer be "beneficial" and so I told her that I was sorry that we could not come to a mutual agreement and wished her luck in her endeavors in life and stated again that this was simply not how I do business.

Shortly after she sent me this text. Talk about big ego. She even had the audacity to 'kindly' ask me to remove a photo of her I posted on IG. Too bad she signed a contract that allowed me keep all copyrights to the images. But because I am not a jerk and a professional, I will remove it.. Some time tomorrow.

P.S. Any advice on how I could have handled the situation better would be helpful.

Last edited:
I'm erring on the side of the model here, if I'm honest.

The point of a TFP shoot is for it to be beneficial for both the photographer and the model. That's the point of it. It is not an excuse for you to get free shots for you to use and "who cares what the model wants?".

There needs to be an element of trust in TFP shoots. Not everyone is out to steal your photos, particularly people who can benefit from staying on your good side. She agreed to your shoot on the basis that she would get the same out of the shoot as you and if she cannot use your watermarked images, she has done a day's work for zero benefit to her and maximum benefit to you. TFP shoots are a two-way thing. Release your images un-watermarked to her. That is her day's pay. You can use your copies of the images anywhere else you want to promote yourself, watermarked up to the hilt.

Generally, when I do a TFP shoot it is agreed that I will release those images to my model for them to use as they see fit (except any editing by third parties or direct sales to any third parties) for self promotion, crediting me as the photographer where possible and where appropriate (accepting that sometimes, no one will know who took the shot) and I agree to do the same, i.e., if I put the photos on my site, I credit the model and even link to their website if they have one. That way, we've both helped each other out and got some good portfolio images.

It makes good business sense to stay in touch and support each other. They will always remember you for that and you will always be at the back of their mind when someone's looking for a photographer - she might even have introduced you to her agency. All she will remember you for now is that you didn't give her any useable images after a TFP shoot.

If it were me, I would release the unwatermarked images to her, man up and apologise for any misunderstanding in what you agreed, accept that you've burned that bridge and put it down to experience. You never know, you might claw back that important network relationship.

Last edited:
I'm erring on the side of the model here, if I'm honest.

The point of a TFP shoot is for it to be beneficial for both the photographer and the model. That's the point of it. It is not an excuse for you to get free shots for you to use and "who cares what the model wants?".

There needs to be an element of trust in TFP shoots. Not everyone is out to steal your photos, particularly people who can benefit from staying on your good side. She agreed to your shoot on the basis that she would get the same out of the shoot as you and if she cannot use your watermarked images, she has done a day's work for zero benefit to her and maximum benefit to you. TFP shoots are a two-way thing. Release your images un-watermarked to her. That is her day's pay. You can use your copies of the images anywhere else you want to promote yourself, watermarked up to the hilt.

Generally, when I do a TFP shoot it is agreed that I will release those images to my model for them to use as they see fit (except any editing by third parties or direct sales to any third parties) for self promotion, crediting me as the photographer where possible and where appropriate (accepting that sometimes, no one will know who took the shot) and I agree to do the same, i.e., if I put the photos on my site, I credit the model and even link to their website if they have one. That way, we've both helped each other out and got some good portfolio images.

It makes good business sense to stay in touch and support each other. They will always remember you for that and you will always be at the back of their mind when someone's looking for a photographer - she might even have introduced you to her agency. All she will remember you for now is that you didn't give her any useable images after a TFP shoot.

If it were me, I would release the unwatermarked images to her, man up and apologise for any misunderstanding in what you agreed, accept that you've burned that bridge and put it down to experience. You never know, you might claw back that important network relationship.

I agree with this 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P.S. Any advice on how I could have handled the situation better would be helpful.

Next time use cats, they don't care if you screw them out of the their pictures they worked for.
My dogs do, my dogs lawyer has it written into the contract that they get 3 walks a day and unlimited treats

If I gave everyone who didn't pay for a shoot full resolution un-watermarked images then I would be losing out on potential revenue.

And if you had PAID the model, instead of trading TFP, you would be "losing out" on money.

It might not be too late to fix this.

Call the model, and tell her that you've had the scales lifted from your eyes, and you will promptly give her full-size, full resolution digital files AND up to 8 8x10 glossy prints (of her choosing) AND a gift certificate to a local restaurant as a way of trying to make up for your poor handling of your last conversation.

Last edited:
I mean, I don't get it. If I gave everyone who didn't pay for a shoot full resolution un-watermarked images then I would be losing out on potential revenue.

Models are in the same boat as you. If they let every photographer keep all their images of them, they'd also be loosing out on potential revenue.

If a photographer hires a model, the photographer pays the model, either in money or photos. If the model hires the photographer, the model pays the photographer. In money or photos. You don't get to write your name on their money. Or their photos. Have you credited the model wherever you displayed your image? They're an artist looking for work just as much as you are.

Last edited:
mutual exchange of services; only photographer benefits.

I hate to say this but I agree with the above.
This harkens my thoughts back to those Sears photo studios. FREE Family photo shoot ... oh wait, you want to take some home then you have to pay, except for one 3x5.

If this is your business and how you make money then why do photo shoots for free?
Do TPF (free) to build your portfolio then market your skills to the public where you make your money.

Harkening back to the Sears thing .. the last time I was there they had 12 "best" photos of my family selected. Only ONE was marginally in focus .. marginally. And they were there trying to push packages.

NedM; please post a link to your water-marked images.

I promise I will not copy, print, sell, publish online, or otherwise use your images without your express written permission.

I'm with the OP, simply because, apparently, the model signed a contract. She knew the terms of the shoot.

Whether I agree with it or not is completely irrelavent. She agreed to the photographer's terms and, as such, has no reason to complain after the fact.

I'm with the OP, simply because, apparently, the model signed a contract. She knew the terms of the shoot.

Whether I agree with it or not is completely irrelavent. She agreed to the photographer's terms and, as such, has no reason to complain after the fact.

If networking and getting referrals while building a portfolio is the goal then being right is irrelevant.

If networking and getting referrals while building a portfolio is the goal then being right is irrelevant.
And a reputation spreads fast. Whether good or bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you read the contract? Did the contract specify in what format the photographs would be delivered?

The whole business of models paying the photographer always feels off to me.

There are 'agencies' that are just selling hope to girls who will never be models. 'OK, we think you've got the stuff, now it's just $120 to get some headshots...'

If people won't pay to shoot you right out of the gate perhaps it's time to consider another career.

No offense to you, NedM, I have no idea what your business is and for all I know there is a corner case where models legitimately pay.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back