So utterly ashamed

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Emerana, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Emerana

Emerana TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am learning photoshop and figured out, sort of on accident how to do selective coloring. Now I have to say, it isnt my style...in fact I find it unattractive most of the time. But I am so proud of my self (a couple friends have been bugging me to learn so I can do it for their photos...ugh, now I know, I need another excuse not to do it) so I had to share my handy work. Just for education purposes (I dont think you will be seeing much selective coloring from me), how did I do on it?
    [​IMG]

2. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It looks good to me except it's so dark, I almost didn't notice it.

PS. If you're now obligated to do them for all your friends, I hope you don't have too many.:lol:

3. Emerana

Emerana TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The photo is dark or just they color (I was aiming for really subtle)? My screen really is brighter then most screens I think. Despite having a fairly large social group, I don't think I will be doing much of the selective coloring. I might just have to "forget" how I did this whole thing. Why do my friends like it so much? I dont get it!

4. Jedo_03

Jedo_03 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    IMO - selective colouring works best when you accentuate the coloured portion... If the colour is subtle, then it might not work...
    But sometimes it does...
    I think the concept of SC is to kick the viewers eyes to the coloured portion... so you need to add some ZING...
    In this case - sapphire eyes...
    Despite our personal tastes as photographers, we need to be aware of the market and what people will part with their money for...
    (7x5 print = $40, selective colouring 25%-50% extra)
    Jedo

Attached Files:

5. mr_baseball_08

mr_baseball_08 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not sure about that change Jedo. It looks waaaay overdone and completely fake.

Personally the first one is too blue for my tastes as well. I think SC'ing is about subtlety. Personally, I'd mask those blue eyes and bring down the opacity in the blue channel and then lighten them so they sparkle a bit more.. Probably wouldn't hurt to make the catch lights a little stronger too. You want to draw the viewer in, not overwhelm them.

6. amberlark

amberlark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think this photo is great, I personally love the way the light was caught in the drool...

I think that the blue eyes stand out better if you have a warmer B&W. I did nothing to the original color of the eyes in the image. I lightened only the highlights.

I used some Kubota Actions

"Mocha BW" AV2...To get a warmer B&W.
    "Digital Fill Flash" AV2..Around and in the eye highlights
    "Smokeless burn" AV2...to add a bit more depth.
    "Amazing detail finder 2" AV2...To pop the detail on the eyes and some of the other feature. It seemed just a bit soft.

[​IMG]

Amber
    Kubota Image Tools team

7. ~Stella~

~Stella~ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice edit! I prefer the subtler color, if you have to do it.