So what do we think...

M

MDowdey

About 100% manual SLR's? I was looking at nikon's selections ie the fm10 and fm3a and f3hp. What are the pro's and cons of these contraptions!??

matt

I looked at one once and couldn't figure out how to download the pics, no USB or firewire ports. :wink:

mrsid99 said:
I looked at one once and couldn't figure out how to download the pics, no USB or firewire ports. :wink:

geez...what good is it then if you cant upload the pics right from your camera and zip them onto some website? lol

anybody other than the infamous Mrsid wanna take a crack at these cameras?

dont worry sid, we still love you.even though your jokes are :puke-rig:

md

Manual cameras require a lot more patients, also make you shoot slower, and focus on fundamentals. As for Nikon I am not familiar them.

MDowdey said:
dont worry sid, we still love you.even though your jokes are :puke-rig:

md

Oh good, you think they're improving huh?

thats weird. i posted after you sid and my post is before yours...

md

Mea Culpa, I screwed up the quote and re-posted it.
I thought about trying to convince you it was your artistic ESP at work.

FM10: Not made by Nikon. Go into a camera store and ask to see the FM-10, any Vivitar SLR they might have, the Olympus OM-10, any inexpensive ($200 w/ lens) manual wind 35mm SLR. You'll easily notice that they are all the same camera with minor cosmetic differences and different lens mounts. This is a no frills 70s/80s design 35mm SLR with a pretty crappy meter in my opinion. Of course it'll still use good Nikon lenses, and as always, equipment isn't everything.

FM3a: Latest version; I'm more familiar with the FM2. This was, and still is marketed for the advanced amateur/beginning pro photographer. Very nice camera. I'm sure the FM3a is similar, probably with better meter.

F3HP: moan... this is the coolest 35mm SLR there is in my opinion. Built like a tank. It keeps working when the batteries die. Solid steel with a titanium version available. It's the combat camera. It has everything you need in a manual wind pro 35mm SLR and invincibility (at least compared to most cameras). I've seen F3s that look like they went through a log chipper, but they still function silky smooth. All sorts of modifications and interchangable parts and accessories. Some day I'll add one to my collection; I don't need a Leica (although it'd be nice), but I need a Nikon F3.

thanks matt. Starting these classes pretty soon and I wanted to get something that would force me into learning the manual aspect first.

md

Most reactions

Back