So what do we think...

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by MDowdey, Jan 25, 2004.

1. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

About 100% manual SLR's? I was looking at nikon's selections ie the fm10 and fm3a and f3hp. What are the pro's and cons of these contraptions!??

matt

2. mrsid99

mrsid99 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

I looked at one once and couldn't figure out how to download the pics, no USB or firewire ports. :wink:

3. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

geez...what good is it then if you cant upload the pics right from your camera and zip them onto some website? lol

anybody other than the infamous Mrsid wanna take a crack at these cameras?

dont worry sid, we still love you.even though your jokes are :puke-rig:

md

4. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Manual cameras require a lot more patients, also make you shoot slower, and focus on fundamentals. As for Nikon I am not familiar them.

5. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

oh definately...weve got a ways to go though...

md

6. mrsid99

Oh good, you think they're improving huh?

7. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

thats weird. i posted after you sid and my post is before yours...

md

8. mrsid99

Mea Culpa, I screwed up the quote and re-posted it.
    I thought about trying to convince you it was your artistic ESP at work.

9. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    FM10: Not made by Nikon. Go into a camera store and ask to see the FM-10, any Vivitar SLR they might have, the Olympus OM-10, any inexpensive ($200 w/ lens) manual wind 35mm SLR. You'll easily notice that they are all the same camera with minor cosmetic differences and different lens mounts. This is a no frills 70s/80s design 35mm SLR with a pretty crappy meter in my opinion. Of course it'll still use good Nikon lenses, and as always, equipment isn't everything.

FM3a: Latest version; I'm more familiar with the FM2. This was, and still is marketed for the advanced amateur/beginning pro photographer. Very nice camera. I'm sure the FM3a is similar, probably with better meter.

F3HP: moan... this is the coolest 35mm SLR there is in my opinion. Built like a tank. It keeps working when the batteries die. Solid steel with a titanium version available. It's the combat camera. It has everything you need in a manual wind pro 35mm SLR and invincibility (at least compared to most cameras). I've seen F3s that look like they went through a log chipper, but they still function silky smooth. All sorts of modifications and interchangable parts and accessories. Some day I'll add one to my collection; I don't need a Leica (although it'd be nice), but I need a Nikon F3.

10. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

thanks matt. Starting these classes pretty soon and I wanted to get something that would force me into learning the manual aspect first.

md