So what do you think?

mom2eight

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
With Valentines day approaching I thought it would be a great opportunity to get in some practice. My kids will be taking in cards to exchange with their friends and my thought was adding a coupon for a free photo shoot. I am considering just putting it in with the store bought card or creating some cards with each of my childrens best photo. What do you think? I would not charge any fee, or print any photos unless they paid cost for printing? Any thoughts? :heart:

Bahaha, sounds creepy.
If one of my friends gave me a valentines day card saying their dad will photograph me, I'd never step foot in their house again.

Yes boys I am their mother, Now go do your homework and get off the internet!lol

I dont know, while its a good idea, I think it would come off odd. Unless its a small group of kids that their parents know you fairly well.

Sounds like it could be a cute idea to make you own cards with a photo. I'm sure it would be cheaper than buying store bought cards for everybody. You still have time to use a place like Snapfish. Photo Cards, Photo Greeting Cards and more - Create many types of photo cards using your favorite photos from Snapfish

I think the idea of the coupon is a good idea. Parents always love having recent photos of their kids (I'm sure you know this :lol:). Make sure that if they want copies then you just sell them prints and not the file. A 2 part carbon bill listing what you provided and what you charge for your services would be a good idea. This way both parties have a signed copy just in case you need it.

They don't know me personally but would know of my kids from their child's class. I sure don't want to come off as odd. Last year my daughter came home with a Valentines cards from a classmate whos family owned a clothing store. It was a coupon decorated pretty for Valentines day. Her other friends mom who owned a McDonalds did the same thing for a fee ice cream cone.

Good Idea Greg! Thanks for your imput.

Good Idea Greg! Thanks for your imput.

No problem. I'm sure there you will find other places (maybe better quality or cheaper) to get photo cards if that is the route you decide to go. I just remembered Snapfish because they keep sending me annoying emails...I seriously need to unsubscribe. :lol:

i dont think ive seen any of your images (ill check after this), but if your portfolio is up to par, then it seems like a nice idea.

I think that sounds like a really cute idea... it's with the classroom too so I don't think you would come across as creepy at all. Good marketing too, b/c they might come back on birthdays and christmas and want you to do portraits.. then you could maybe start making some $ if you wanted to! You never know... I nannied for a woman who did photography and one of the private schools in town heard about her and ended up hiring her to take the annual school pictures. get your name out there, you're getting tons of practice while you're at it! :)

If you get a lot of interest, post some so we can see how they turned out!

If you had a SmugMug account, you could create a protected folder (password protected) and then put all the photos in there for the families to proof. IF they liked any, they could just order them right off there in whatever fashion they wanted.

Thanks Jackie
Dom that is what I'll do this way I don't have to worry about any of it. Its just for practice and I will let anyone interested know up front that I am an amateur. Most parents think every picture of their child is wonderful I think it could turn out good. It will be good to practice on children who aren't' mine! My children get sick of it.
i dont think ive seen any of your images (ill check after this), but if your portfolio is up to par, then it seems like a nice idea.
I do not have a portfolio and I am not trying to make one at this point. I have a long way to go before that happens.

That explains a lot.
I don't understand your comment.

Most reactions

Back