so, what kind of car do you drive?

I drive a crappy '92 Mazda Protege DX.

166044_35_full.jpg

This picture was before duct tape was installed to hold together the side molding :p My brother's '87 Civic in the pic is in better shape than my car...but soon I am getting a real job so I'll be able to get a nicer car ;)

Rotory engines are sweet though. I would love to have an RX8.

only downside I see to that transmission is in the winter. nice thing about manual or even automatics is that you can keep the wheels from spinning to fast. its not a huge problem, but could be annoying.

graigdavis said:
Rotory engines are sweet though. I would love to have an RX8.

only downside I see to that transmission is in the winter. nice thing about manual or even automatics is that you can keep the wheels from spinning to fast. its not a huge problem, but could be annoying.

I agree. I've talked to a few people that have the new RX, and they all agree it's a great little car. Love the looks of them--very subtly aggressive.

As for the transmission in the winter, I've been through two indiana winters in it so far, and it's been great. It has a very smooth low end, so no real slippage. Plus it's got computer-controlled AWD, so when it does start to slip a bit, the rears kick in. Also, it has a "secondary drive" and a "low range" setting that are basically the equivalent of downshifting an automatic or stick.

So apart from that weird feeling of no shift-kick, it drives pretty much like an automatic.

Shark said:
'03 Nissan Murano, sunlit copper. I was very leery of that continuously variable transmission at first, but now I love it. Great power, good mileage.

Shark, I'm in the market, and I did hear some bad things about the Murano transmissions. What exactly is the issue? Is it 4x4?

We have a 2003 Camry. Currently on the market for preferbly a 4x4. Thinking of a 2004 4Runner.

Any suggestions for a fine 4x4?

danalec99 said:
We have a 2003 Camry. Currently on the market for preferbly a 4x4. Thinking of a 2004 4Runner.

cant go wrong with a 4runner. I have never heard a bad thing about them. Being a Jeep guy my self I would have to say take a look at the Liberty. I hate them with a passion (looks, and they took the place of the Cherokee), but they are a Jeep, they will last forever. The new Jeep Unlimited is pretty sweet. Much more room than a Wrangler, but still pretty cool.

Nissan Xteras are really nice too.

Stay away from Fords, anyone I know has only had problems with them.

the only 4wd SUV type things I would recomend are Jeep, Nissan and Toyota.

danalec99 said:
Shark said:
'03 Nissan Murano, sunlit copper. I was very leery of that continuously variable transmission at first, but now I love it. Great power, good mileage.

Shark, I'm in the market, and I did hear some bad things about the Murano transmissions. What exactly is the issue? Is it 4x4?

Mine is computer-controlled AWD (which you can lock into a full-time AWD).

As far as the transmission, I haven't heard anything negative about it, and haven't experienced any problems personally. I've had the car for about a year and a half. THe thing is it's just a different technology--it's a continuously variable transmission. No gears, just steel belts and pullies. It's been super for me though.

graigdavis said:
danalec99 said:

cant go wrong with a 4runner. I have never heard a bad thing about them. Being a Jeep guy my self I would have to say take a look at the Liberty. I hate them with a passion (looks, and they took the place of the Cherokee), but they are a Jeep, they will last forever. The new Jeep Unlimited is pretty sweet. Much more room than a Wrangler, but still pretty cool.

Nissan Xteras are really nice too.

Stay away from Fords, anyone I know has only had problems with them.

the only 4wd SUV type things I would recomend are Jeep, Nissan and Toyota.

I almost bought an Exterra a couple years ago (right after they came out), then unfortunately waited a year or two and went with a Ford. Damn thing was in the shop 13 times in the first year I owned it (and it was brand new). Ugh, the littany of problems I had with that monster was ENDLESS.

A buddy of mine has a Liberty. I have yet to ride in it, but it's a nice looking little SUV. Growing up in a GM family, I'm drooling over the new Envoy XL.

Shark said:
danalec99 said:
Shark said:

Mine is computer-controlled AWD (which you can lock into a full-time AWD).

As far as the transmission, I haven't heard anything negative about it, and haven't experienced any problems personally. I've had the car for about a year and a half. THe thing is it's just a different technology--it's a continuously variable transmission. No gears, just steel belts and pullies. It's been super for me though.

I'm not a car tech savvy. Could you let me know what the VT is and how it is different from 'normal' :) automobiles, and if it advanced or primitive tech?

AWD - So it can be driven in snow and offroad, right?

graigdavis said:
well I would probably confuse you trying to explain it, those links have some simple explanations. :)

I understand :). Driving is my passion, but when it comes to the mech./tech side of the automobile, I do not think I have that (whatever you call it) in my blood! :(

Thanks anyways GD!! :)

PS: Murano looks good, but I think its too cute. I'm seriously thinking of getting the new 2004 4Runner Sports edition! What do you think?

Most reactions

Back