So... whats the deal with lenses?

WNK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Will someone please explain to a pathetic noobie like me what the deal is with different lenses?

For example, if I buy a Canon Rebel XT and the description says "Body Only" or "No Lens" am I correct in assuming that I would still be able to use it for all of my intents and purposes (basically, it would do the same thing my HP Photosmart does now), but I just wouldnt be able to do some of the fancy effects or stuff that you guys do?

Please help! I've been reading up, hoping to start saving up soon for a new camera, but am rather lacking on the "basics"

(also, what does SLR stand for?)

Thanks!

WNK said:
For example, if I buy a Canon Rebel XT and the description says "Body Only" or "No Lens" am I correct in assuming that I would still be able to use it for all of my intents and purposes (basically, it would do the same thing my HP Photosmart does now), but I just wouldnt be able to do some of the fancy effects or stuff that you guys do?

(also, what does SLR stand for?)

"No lens" or "body only" mean just that, no lens. You wouldn't be able to take a photograph with just the camera body. Like Doc said, get the body with the kit lens (the lens that normally is sold with the body).

SLR stands for single lens reflex, and basically means the camera design uses a retractable mirror to allow the viewfinder to look through the actual shooting lens. For instance, with your HP Photosmart camera (not an SLR) the viewfinder probably looks through a hole in the camera body above the lens, rather than through the actual lens (although viewing using the LCD screen is looking through the lens).

Thanks for your insights. I guess I just found it odd that the camera itself wouldnt come with a lens to use... Seems kind of silly, if you ask me :)
Thanks again so much!

WNK said:
Thanks for your insights. I guess I just found it odd that the camera itself wouldnt come with a lens to use... Seems kind of silly, if you ask me :)
Thanks again so much!

The camera comes with the option to use dozens of lenses. The company can't package it up with all of them. If you don't want the normal lens/body combo you can just get the body, and whatever lens you want. Most folks probably do buy the pre-packaged lens/body combo.

The idea behind different lenses is to give the photographer the ability to use many different lenses, rather than just one. Also, some lenses are higher quality, and therefore more expensive, than others. Interchangeable lenses allow the photographer to select the right lens to fit the shooting situation and conditions, while also helping keep the budget balanced.

ksmattfish said:
The camera comes with the option to use dozens of lenses. The company can't package it up with all of them. If you don't want the normal lens/body combo you can just get the body, and whatever lens you want. Most folks probably do buy the pre-packaged lens/body combo.

Yeh... I bought the kit. I don't regret it, since I couldn't afford to get them separately at the time, but I do get soooo tired of that junky 35-80mm zoom. First chance I get, I'm replacing it with a 50mm prime.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back