= ) So you all know.. I am REALLY trying..

mostly sunny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMG_2872.jpg

Your trying but you are not LISTENING, this was shot at 1/40 @ 95mm, your shutter speed should have been about 1/150

Still she used flash so that gives you a little more leway to work with and if sitting you get a little more - though 1/40 is slow - idealy you want 1/60 as the minimum with any lens (barring some wide angles) and 1/focal length of the lens is the rule of thumb for shutter speed

Another thing though is that (and someone correct me if I am wrong and going mad) but I see a lot of artifacts around the lettering and having a close look at some of your other shots I see similar artifacts. I wonder are you uploading to photobucket and letting it do the resizing of the images? If you are its going to be messing them up badly as photobucket does not have a good resizing code - if you must work this way get a flickr account as flickr auto resizing does a much better job of resizing and sharpening after the process.

However I would also encourage you (if you are not doing so already) to resize in your editing software instead - save a fullsized version of the image and then resize down to around 1000pixels or less - sharpen again and save to another file name and upload that.

Last edited:
Still she used flash so that gives you a little more leway to work with and if sitting you get a little more - though 1/40 is slow - idealy you want 1/60 as the minimum with any lens (barring some wide angles) and 1/focal length of the lens is the rule of thumb for shutter speed

Another think though is that (and someone correct me if I am wrong and going mad) but I see a lot of artifacts around the lettering and having a close look at some of your other shots I see similar artifacts. I wonder are you uploading to photobucket and letting it do the resizing of the images? If you are its going to be messing them up badly as photobucket does not have a good resizing code - if you must work this way get a flickr account as flickr auto resizing does a much better job of resizing and sharpening after the process.

However I would also encourage you (if you are not doing so already) to resize in your editing software instead - save a fullsized version of the image and then resize down to around 1000pixels or less - sharpen again and save to another file name and upload that.

Check again FLASH DID NOT FIRE

Hmm Opera is failing at reading 7D exif then ;) Yah just checked in photoshop elements and yes it did not fire

Gary, This picture was taken yesterday... not today.I just posted it so you all knew I was reading about my beautiful camera that I have a love/hate relationship with.

Your trying but you are not LISTENING, this was shot at 1/40 @ 95mm, your shutter speed should have been about 1/150

Another thing though is that (and someone correct me if I am wrong and going mad) but I see a lot of artifacts around the lettering and having a close look at some of your other shots I see similar artifacts. I wonder are you uploading to photobucket and letting it do the resizing of the images? If you are its going to be messing them up badly as photobucket does not have a good resizing code - if you must work this way get a flickr account as flickr auto resizing does a much better job of resizing and sharpening after the process.

Absolutely not necessary if you're using any professional program at all (photoshop, paint shop pro, etc...)

And as long as the picture looks good the speed isn't necessary. There's a reason people mention the trifecta so much

:hail: Gary---

I think I got it..
THE LIGHT JUST WENT ON!!!

Even if I get it in focus it will look, it will SHARPER if I use the correct shutter speed...

Absolutely not necessary if you're using any professional program at all (photoshop, paint shop pro, etc...)

I'm confused as to why you say this. The issue of resizing is that photobucket does a bad job or resizing images - so to do it yourself with your own editing software (eg photoshop - elements etc..) and then to apply a final sharpening to the image ( to restore detail lost through resizing) is a very valid and common approach.

Gentlemen-- I stopped playing with edit programs.. All my pictures are right out of my camera- I will fuss with editing when I get better.

I'm confused as to why you say this. The issue of resizing is that photobucket does a bad job or resizing images - so to do it yourself with your own editing software (eg photoshop - elements etc..) and then to apply a final sharpening to the image ( to restore detail lost through resizing) is a very valid and common approach.

I think I got it..
THE LIGHT JUST WENT ON!!!

Even if I get it in focus it will look, it will SHARPER if I use the correct shutter speed...

Yeah this is true. The smallest movement can cause your pictures to look out of focus. To counteract that movement you want to use a fast shutter speed when you can. Thats where your f# also comes into play. The smaller the number the more light you let in which helps with being able to use a faster shutter speed. Keep reading and you will figure it out at somepoint.

To counteract that movement you want to use a fast shutter speed when you can.

Or in the case of a stationary subject, a tripod, mirror lock-up.

I mean we can assume this was taken hand-held and thus would need a faster shutter speed, but in this instance, there's more than one way to skin the proverbial cat.

Hmm Opera is failing at reading 7D exif then ;) Yah just checked in photoshop elements and yes it did not fire

All it says for me is "Flash: 16". I'm not sure what 16 means.

I think 16 means that it did not fire though. I just checked some of my pictures - all of the ones with no flash say 16, all of the ones with flash say 73.

Most reactions

Back