So You Wanna See the Difference Between Full Frame and Cropped Sensors?

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thinking about going full frame, but are confused the difference this 'crop factor' is compared to full frame? Seeing one image of this or that doesn't really resonate? You want / need side-by-side comparisons?

Do you have an aversion to pink? If not....... carry on. Winston is more than happy to help out if he's in front of the camera.

This is a v-e-r-y non-scientific lab results test. It was done on a Sunday afternoon, I had nowhere to go, and no chance of driving.......... getting the picture?

I originally did a two shot of DX versus FX using a 50mm f/1.8 lens (hey.... I shoot Nikon and they're acronyms we know). DX is the cropped body (D300 here) and FX is the full frame body (D700 in this case). My thinking is that most people have or can obtain a 50mm focal length. A discussiion elsewhere brought up the 35mm vs 50mm debate as well. This made sense and I did a reshoot..... on a Sunday afternoon, I had nowhere to go, and no chance of driving.......... getting the picture?

The setup is:
Lenses: Nikkor 35mm f/2 and Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Camera to subject = 28" (except as noted)
Subject to background = 60"
F/5.6
1/250s
ISO200
EV = -.0.7
Shot at ~15:30, conditions were bright sun to sun behind thick clouds, black cover used on diffuser to block sun
Flash at 45° camera left in 24" soft box at 45° above, flash at 135° camera right with 8" snoot feathered to hit the very back of his head ~24" above.

I also used a CPL but may not have turned it exactly the same between lens changes.

....................................DX 35mm.....................................................................FX F5mm...........................
956285760_QnEj8-XL.jpg
956285950_Ug9BS-XL.jpg

....................................DX 50mm.....................................................................FX 50mm...........................
956285830_8eAXE-XL.jpg
956286052_tUtPB-XL.jpg

Here's what you paid admission for..............

....................................DX 35mm.....................................................................FX 50mm...........................
956285760_QnEj8-XL.jpg
956286052_tUtPB-XL.jpg

....................................DX 35mm..................................FX 35mm (recomposed for 16" camera to subject).....
956285760_QnEj8-XL.jpg
956285881_5t9tP-XL.jpg

Now I'm getting confused.................. See if this helps. I shot some other stuff with thesae combos. The dots are starting to get difficult to connect.

Last edited:
Excellent work for a Sunday afternoon, with nowhere to go, and no chance of driving..........

Super post!

Very nice, although I expected the results you show for 1 and 2 (differing subject sizes) and 4 (more perspective distortion due to FOV change). It's #3 that I'm spending the time peering at.

I *think* that the bush behind Winston (?!) is thrown more out of focus with FX. Of course, it might be my eyes! Can anyone confirm this? Is there anything else I'm missing.

The 2 photos after "Here's what you paid admission for......" are exactly what I was looking for. They illustrate the difference in the quality, you can see in his bow. I also see the difference between 50 and 52mm. 35*1.6=52

THANKS!

Thought you might also like to see how each sensor handles the out of focus background. The physical size of each pixel (not just the sensor) is larger for a full frame. I would expect better performance.

The DX images are at 100% crop. In order to get a similar framed size, I had to go to 150% on the FX images. Even more pixel peeping. :biggrin:

.......................................DX 35mm......................................................
959499623_XU27G-L.jpg

.......................................FX 35mm......................................................
959499720_rUJvt-L.jpg

.......................................DX 50mm......................................................
959499673_VndfE-L.jpg

.......................................FX 50mm......................................................
959499554_3th3E-L.jpg

I thnk it's proven that the bokeh is much better handeled by a full frame sensor.​

Last edited:
Now that is what I wanted to see! Close up goodness.

It is amazing how much better a full frame sensor with better pixels can capture an image as opposed to the crop frame. This just furthers my drive to purchase a full frame and some L series glass

I dont mean to pull this out of the dust, but I think it deserves another look-through by most and I cant see the second post worth of photos! :er:

Mark

This seals it for me, my next body will be a 5DM(III?) and not a 7D as long as it gets the good AF, etc....

Great thread.

Wow @ the FF performance.

I missed this. It's actually amazing the differences between the D300 and D700 with relatively the same pixel count (D700 slightly less than D300) It's not just the bokeh, it's the total tonal depth that's improved as shown by your samples. Well done!

Most reactions

Back