So you want to shoot better wildlife.

:eagerness: Wow pretty impressed Jr sat still long enough on that perch

I don't get what's so funny. Isn't his how all wildlife photographers practice?
I'm sure I saw Mr. and Mrs. Northrup doing this!

I don't get what's so funny. Isn't his how all wildlife photographers practice?
I'm sure I saw Mr. and Mrs. Northrup doing this!

I know you've had your picture taken a lot lately but comparing yourself to Chelsea is really crossing the line.

That's a big honking lens.

Also... any other advice for shooting wildlife? I'm legitimately curious.

Also... any other advice for shooting wildlife? I'm legitimately curious.

Nothing beats time in location. Getting to know when and where your target species likes to nest/hunt is key to getting good shots.
Camo is a good idea even if just a shirt. Is it going to make a huge difference? No but sometimes it'll get you that last 10'.
Learning how to approach quietly and move under cover as much as possible. Also take advantage of the targets behaviour. If you're shooting diving birds. Only move when it's under water. Snowy's that I don't know. I'll only move when they're looking away.
Also the busier the location is with people i.e. busy parks etc. will allow you to get closer before the animal/birds takes off. The downside is dealing with noisy people that won't leave you alone to get the shot.
Some species will get used to your presence with time. On a few occasions I've walked in and photographed Herons. They knew I was a there but as soon as someone else would show up...they're gone.

Any other questions just fire away.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back