So you want to use my picture for free?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First off I want to say that I don't do photography professional, I don't have a business. But I have been known to sell some prints here and there.

This evening I got a email from a supposed digital designer that wanted to use a photo I took in Boston to create 100 5x7 invitations for this one day wine activity at a fancy hotel.

For something like this I felt it was appropriate to charge some sort of fee which was a $50 for a full res file in a format of their choice, which I thought was reasonable. I talked to another friend of mine that does photography professionally and that's what he suggested.

The designer wrote back and counter offered by saying they can give me credit and promote my contact info in the invitation. Said it would give me exposure to all the famous wineries around the world.

Wow thanks. So originally they weren't even going to give me credit in first place. What a joke. After I saw that, I instantly turned them down and said they'd have to find another picture to use.

I don't fall for these anymore.

The guy's a cheapskate S.O.B. looking to get something for abso-fricking-loutely-nuthin!

I would suggest to him that he might be well-served to engage in a bout of self-intercourse.

You said he was from Boston; there's a VERY good chance he's a masshole.

I always laugh when these turn up. Its just comedy that some people think that you'd give away for free one of the major things they are getting paid for. Lol

You said he was from Boston; there's a VERY good chance he's a masshole.

tumblr_lzgc43PwmO1rpc4g0o1_500.png

I don't understand this thread at all. Especially this part: "I talked to another friend of mine that does photography professionally and that's what he suggested."

What exactly is the difference between free and $50?

It seems to me that 30 years ago $50 wasn't worth getting out of bed for...

I don't understand this thread at all. Especially this part: "I talked to another friend of mine that does photography professionally and that's what he suggested."

I'll get out of bed for $50; heck, I'll even have a cup of coffee for $50! ;) Granted, the amount is small, but I think this is much more about the principle, and the fact that the graphic artist wasn't even willing to shell out the very, very small fee that the OP requested.

I wasn't so concerned about money, but I'm just tired of doing things for free. I've done a lot of things for people in my life for free and it got me no where. Yes $50 isn't much but I thought it was reasonable for access to full res file. But the fact that the designer said he would give me credit INSTEAD of compensation irritated me because he didn't plan on giving me credit in the first place. I didn't think it was fair.

Also $50 covers 4 months of Adobe CC!

I was going to list several things that $50.00 could do for me. But Adobe CC is perfect and fits the category.

I'll get out of bed for $50; heck, I'll even have a cup of coffee for $50! ;) Granted, the amount is small, but I think this is much more about the principle, and the fact that the graphic artist wasn't even willing to shell out the very, very small fee that the OP requested.

Principles don't pay the bills. But I do have a cup of coffee to sell you :biggrin-93:

Back to serious, accepting less and less money on principle is bringing down the value of the profession as a whole. To the point that today, even government entities are using photos they are not paying for when they should be the first ones to respect copyright laws. But photography has become a joke and only very specialized photographers seem to still get paid a living wage.

Frankly, I couldn't care less. My pro-photo career was extremely limited and a long, long time ago. What I'm saying is for the benefit of the young guys and gals out there. And if they don't care, why should I?

Most reactions

Back