Soccer Game

umd81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Today was my first time shooting a soccer game...let me know what you think. Thanks

All in Stride
soccer1.jpg

soccer2.jpg

I missed the focus on this one (got the background instead of the players) but i think it turned out to be a cool shot...
soccer3.jpg

I love 2 its perfect haha

3 can work at well I agree with you. If you have more of an artistic eye to it and not so much of just showing sports

Those are great shots. I love how active they are!!!! If a photo can actually be active.....;)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hey, your football-"ballet" pic is nice (you know, "all in stride"), what a lucky moment.
And you mean to tell this was the FIRST time you took photos of a football match??? Honestly? You must be a natural talent!

But you're sure it was football, not leapfrog? ;) ;) ;)

all of them are very nice shots....
you did a great job capturing the moments

Thanks for all the comments.

Yeah, it was my first time with soccer. I did take over 250 shots at the game and probably 10% came out pretty good and these 3 were my favs. About half my shots were out of focus...i think i need to work on that the most. For you sports shooters out there...for fast moving sports like soccer, do you use Servo, AI Focus or One Shot (my camera is 20D btw)? When i was using Servo i had trouble keeping the subject centered and then i would lose the focus, and when i used normal mode the players quickly went out of focus because they were moving.

Thanks again...

This was your first time? These shots are great!

On the first shot, they're all in focus and you got 2 out of 3 facial expressions.

Something about the second shot has my jaw on the floor in amazement. I can even see the dirt flying in the air!

The third shot definitely turned out to be good. There's a sense of a negative emotion in the shot too.

Nice second one there mate .... I do take a lot of photos of football or soccer as you call it.

The way I usually do it is to set the camera into Av mode set it at f/2.8 and let the vcamera do the thinking on shutter speed. You froze the action really well and framed it well.

I always set the focus point in the middle of the viewfinder, I use the 350D and I always use that focus mode.

Having shot football for the past 13/14 years I tend to find that behind the goal and just outside the 6 yard box is the best place to sit .. nice and low too. You'll get the action in the goalmouth for things like corners and penalties. But you take the chance on missing stuff at the other end. But there is nothing like capturing a couple of players rushing towards you or cathing the sweat coming off their heads in the area as the go up for a header.

Those are a just a couple of tips for you that I use. or in my signature there is a link to sporting photos that might inspire you a little :)

Great shots never the less - Thanks for sharing :)

Most reactions

Back