Soccer

Discussion in 'Photojournalism & Sports Gallery' started by Dr. Tasso, May 16, 2008.

1. Dr. Tasso

Dr. Tasso TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    This was my first attempt at shooting sports, and this one was my best.
    C & C is appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Seefutlung

Seefutlung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sports require a bit of practice to refine technique and skills. Soccer, in particular is difficult because the action is spread out across a large pitch.

General tips:
    1) Wait for the action to fill your frame;
    2) Use the longest lens you have in order to isolate the action (at night lens speed becomes a limiting factor);
    3) Shoot wide open (or not far from wide open) in order to limit your DOF for additional isolation; and
    4) For sports with an object use for scoring, generally you gotta have the object somewhere in the shot.

On your shot:
    A) Horizon is tilted;
    B) Crop tighter - either in camera (perferred) or in processing);
    C) Ball too far away from player; and
    D) Action is unimpressive (little kids are tough because they don't throw themselves into the game as emotionally and physically as older participants.

Some samples of soccer action:
    http://garyayala.smugmug.com/gallery/1589954_Nujj4#201728502_VqSDA

Gary

3. Shibby!

Shibby! TPF Noob!

Good response!

I might be going to watch my friend play in their girls soccer league and wouldn't mind snapping pictures. The points above are good reminders of "to do's".

4. Senor Hound

Senor Hound TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with the ball being too far away. It makes the ball and the player two different subjects which are both competing for my eyes' attention. Other than that, I thought it wasn't bad. There are a few things like mentioned, but IMO the most important would be to get the ball closer to the player. But remember to keep shooting, cause you can always delete later and can never go back (its not a still life).