Soccer

ac12

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So there has been some discussion of what lens is best for soccer.
For on-field shooting:
  • The traditional lens has been the 80-200 f/2.8 on a 35mm/FX/FF camera, shooting from the sidelines.
  • I unexpectedly discovered that the 18-140 lens on a DX crop camera works VERY well, all around the field. During the day.
Photo deleted, sorry

It is the ability to capture these CLOSE shots that surprised me, in a good way.
In the past with my 80-200 on a 35mm film camera, I must have ignored the CLOSE shots, because I could not capture them. Unless I was well back of the end-line or the side-line.

On the long end, with only 140mm, and shooting from the end-line, I don't have enough reach to shoot the other half of the field, without a lot of cropping of the image. So I usually ignore the other half of the field. So when they go past the 50 yard line, I put the camera down and rest my arms.
Ideally, one would have another photographer to cover the other half of the field.

To get different perspectives, I usually shoot half the game from the end-line, and half the game from the side-line about the 20-30 yard line. Both times on the offensive side of the field, to try to capture the goal shots.

When the sun goes down, I used to switch to a 70-210 f/4, to get 1 stop faster than the 18-140. But the 70-210 has its problems, so has been retired.
#1 - 70mm on a crop body is too long for the close sideline shots.
#2 - The lens hunted a few too many times, and on the important shots, the goal. As a result, I missed the shot. Well I got the shot, but it was horribly out of focus, so I missed it. This was really not acceptable, and is what caused me to retire the lens from night sports.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back