Social Justice Photography Assignment

caitlind

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have an assigment due at the end of the semester on any social justice issue. Youre sopposed to choose an issue and take four pictures, each one representing a different point of view on the subject. All i can come up with are the usual overdone issues.. an example being teen pregnancy, (POV1: the pregnant teen POV2: person trying to help/parent POV3: other teen involved and POV4: unborn baby/society). Anyone have any ideas concerning a unique social justice issue that could be shot creatively/originally?

Texting while driving, women high school teachers seducing male pupils, pants worn with the waist very low, baseball hats worn backwards/sideways, apparently trying to hide (look like a gangster?) in plain sight by wearing a hoodie.

Drive across the bridge.

Joe

Discrimination, teen suicide, gay marriage rights, corporate greed, religious conflict/intolerance.

Look up "Ball of Confusion" by the Temptations - it is still very current.

This might be difficult to get photos given your location, but illegal immigration is a very excellent social justice topic. Immigrants coming into a country to reap the benefits of said country, but the simple act of entering illegally has them at odds from the start. It's a quandry (sp?); do you deny them a better life and punish them as criminals or allow them to break the law and forego all proper procedures for legal residence simply because they desire a higher standard of living? I'm not going to state my political standing on the this, but its a very touchy subject for most folks in North America. Very polarized in that there is not much room for a grey area, only black and white.

This might be difficult to get photos given your location, but illegal immigration is a very excellent social justice topic. Immigrants coming into a country to reap the benefits of said country, but the simple act of entering illegally has them at odds from the start. It's a quandry (sp?); do you deny them a better life and punish them as criminals or allow them to break the law and forego all proper procedures for legal residence simply because they desire a higher standard of living? I'm not going to state my political standing on the this, but its a very touchy subject for most folks in North America. Very polarized in that there is not much room for a grey area, only black and white.

Thats not really an issue in Canada.

Texting while driving, women high school teachers seducing male pupils, pants worn with the waist very low, baseball hats worn backwards/sideways, apparently trying to hide (look like a gangster?) in plain sight by wearing a hoodie.

Is this a list of ideas, or a list of things that drive you crazy? haha:)

To the OP. Immigration is a hot button issue here in the states. As well as the war on drugs. Not sure about Canada.

Anyone have any ideas concerning a unique social justice issue that could be shot creatively/originally?

Sorry, I can't think of any, as my brain won't allow it. I might suggest, however, for you to take a subject that has been "discussed" in your class. Or ask your local community organizer for suggestions. And why does it have to be "unique"? I'm sure that there is no example of "unique" available, unless you invent one.

more controversial the topic,the better it is...
can even choose highly controversial topics like racial discrimination.just have to portray it in an impartial manner.

The mob creating fake olive oil...

Not sure off the top of my head what the shots would be but an issue that is hot in the states right now and is often compared to Canada is universal healthcare.

I wouldn't sweat whether or not it's overdone. Sometimes you have a novel idea; sometimes you don't. Go with what seems most compelling to you.

I really don't see the relationship between social justice and teen pregnancy...

American healthcare could be a good subject but you are in Canada and should use a Canadian subject. The first one that came to mind is the priest on Vancouver Island who tried to help his indian parishioners by exposing the "nazi" style abuse they were put throught by the catholic church and the Canadian government. By now he may be dead. But if he is still alive, he would be a very good subject.

Portraits of him with his (impossible to find) book, his parishioners, etc.

What are you studying anyway?

Pick up a copy of "Brave New World." It's full of examples of social justice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back