Soft outdoor location light (flare)

Xo0

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey Guys,

I'm planning a new outdoor location shoot at the beginning of next month. Already got a stunning model and a good attitude as well. The thing is, I want to experiment with soft light and abuse the sun's flare in a subtle way.
I've seen a Belgium photographer do this all the time, but I don't quite get how he get's it like this. What I do know is that this is shoot at dawn.

It looks as though he is using a reflector. Probably white or gold. Using white will keep the warm morning rays and the gold reflector would colour them even warmer. The interior shot is likely just a fill light.

Fast glass, good use of natural light and (as mentioned), I suspect a reflector or two.

I knew he was most likely using a reflector and I'm not talking about the DOF. I also know about the color temperatures of reflectors, but he has that strange kind of glow in his pictures..

I wonder if it's all post-processed..

for flare like that, if you've got a 50 1.8 or 1.4, use that. The simple designs and lack of certain modern coatings or ED elements make producing flare like that cake. make sure the sun is low in the sky, so shoot more towards the evening, and make sure it's behind your subject and shoot manual into the sun. It's actually pretty easy.

dsc6819.jpg

dsc6863.jpg

Thanks gsgary & Sw1tchFX, your info was very useful and it makes sense.. Gonna try it out!

I knew he was most likely using a reflector and I'm not talking about the DOF. I also know about the color temperatures of reflectors, but he has that strange kind of glow in his pictures..

Actually, your OP says "but I don't quite get how he get's it like this. What I do know is that this is shoot at dawn."

Looks to me like he's using a 300mm lens,shot toward the light. Many lenses will flare a bit when aimed toward bright light sources. Using a diffusion filter in the field,over the lens, will give this type of effect as well. Don't bother trying to do this in post--if you really want that type of diffusion, do it in-camera.

Actually, your OP says "but I don't quite get how he get's it like this. What I do know is that this is shoot at dawn."

Yeah I'm sorry. I meant the glow specifically. :)

Looks to me like he's using a 300mm lens,shot toward the light. Many lenses will flare a bit when aimed toward bright light sources. Using a diffusion filter in the field,over the lens, will give this type of effect as well. Don't bother trying to do this in post--if you really want that type of diffusion, do it in-camera.

Indeed, like you said this is only achieved during the taking of the shot!

Backlighting, FTW. Careful positioning is key to getting that almost hazy flared look, and the best way to learn that is practice, practice, practice. I'd say there's also a fair bit of PP'ing going in to getting that warm vintage look too, but it's easily done. Love the bokeh on that first one.

Most reactions

Back