Softbox reflections on plate

redbourn

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
best-food.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just testing here to see the effect of using natural light with two 5500 cfl softboxes.

The early afternoon daylight turned out to be around 4400

Anyway I later noticed the reflection of the softboxes and went upstairs and moved them around and even tried a diffuser but I still saw the reflections in the plate.

So what to do?

I am obviously a lighting novice.

Thanks,

Michael

see soft boxes.JPG

By using a bowl like this you won't be able to use a softbox in this way. I suggest not using a softbox but instead point the light up to the ceiling as bounce. Then the light becomes very big, much bigger than the bowl. Or don't use a bowl.

By using a bowl like this you won't be able to use a softbox in this way. I suggest not using a softbox but instead point the light up to the ceiling as bounce. Then the light becomes very big, much bigger than the bowl. Or don't use a bowl.

Thanks. I will have food in the bowl and might not see the softboxes but would be nice to get it right from getgo.

I like the idea of shooting up and bouncing down.

I have an arm which would allow me to shoot with a softbox painting straight down.

Thoughts on that?

Michael

If you moved the softboxes together and used them just like you did in this example, wouldn't it then look like a reflection of a big window light? This would be something natural for a home dinning room table for some. I realize that may not be the look you are going for, just posing the question for something to think about.

Polarizers. One on the lights, one on the lens.

10 seconds of using the Heal Tool:

see%20soft%20boxes.jpg

If you moved the softboxes together and used them just like you did in this example, wouldn't it then look like a reflection of a big window light? This would be something natural for a home dinning room table for some. I realize that may not be the look you are going for, just posing the question for something to think about.

I will give it a try plus shooting straight down with one soft box and some reflectors.

I am wearing big L plates when it comes to lighting but am determined to get very good if not great photos for my cookbook.

Thanks,

Michael

Thanks. I will have food in the bowl and might not see the softboxes but would be nice to get it right from getgo.

I like the idea of shooting up and bouncing down.

I have an arm which would allow me to shoot with a softbox painting straight down.

Thoughts on that?

Michael
Probably work. But it looks like a grid is used and that will still show so no grid. The light from the softbox needs to be bigger than the plate but I think you knew that. Hopefully the light used (speedlite or strobe) will allow a low enough power so you can select your aperture and shutter speed as needed. Watch for bowl rim light specularity which means too much light.

Most reactions

Back