Softbox/Speedring Compatibility Question

Stevonidas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all.

I feel dumb for asking this, but here goes:

I've read great things about Elinchrom's 39" Deep Octa and would really like to get one to use on an AlienBees Flash Unit (possibly the B800 or B1600).

I know the Deep Octa comes with a speed ring for use with Elinchrom's monolights, but can I use the Octa with the AlienBees Flash Units provided I use their speed ring (scroll to bottom of page)? Or do I need to use an adapter in order to use them together?

Thanks!

You might be able to order the Octa with a speed ring that will fit an AB light. Or, you could just buy an Elinchrom monolight rather than AB. Their D-Lite series is comparable to the AB line.

You are right. The quality of light coming from the deep Octa is outstanding. People have described it as "punchy" or "edgey".

I don't believe that Alien's Bees would be able to hold this softbox though. Although not heavy, this is a deep box. Alien Bees spring clip system isn't robust enough to hold it. Even if you managed to mount the box it's not going to provide as good a quality of light as an Elinchrom flash. Not just because overall they are a better strobe, but Alien Bee flashtube backplane is flat and tends to bounce light at 90 degrees going straight out of the box. Elichrom's flashtube backplane is curved to help scatter the light inside the box allow it to "marinate" before leaving the box.

All Elinchrom compacts and battery systems can fit the Deep Octa. The D-Lite is comparable to the Alien Bees, but have more consistancy throughout the entire power range and the DLite 2 200ws unit puts out as much light as the Alien Bee 400ws unit. The next level up are Elinchrom BXRi's, which are more robust, have lighting fast recycle times and very short flash durations. More importantly, they have built-in Skyport which provides wireliess triggering and control in 1/10 of a stop increments right right from the top of your camera.

Mark Astmann
Lighting Product Manager
Bogen Imaging

Hi all.

I feel dumb for asking this, but here goes:

I've read great things about Elinchrom's 39" Deep Octa and would really like to get one to use on an AlienBees Flash Unit (possibly the B800 or B1600).

I know the Deep Octa comes with a speed ring for use with Elinchrom's monolights, but can I use the Octa with the AlienBees Flash Units provided I use their speed ring (scroll to bottom of page)? Or do I need to use an adapter in order to use them together?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the good advice, Mike and Mark.

I suspected Elinchrom's monolights were much better, but I had read great things about AlienBees and hoped to save some money by going that route. I'll definitely look into Elinchrom's D-Lite series.

Thanks again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back