Softbox vs shoot through umbrella

deb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been looking at softboxes. It's my understanding that the larger and closer the light source the more even the light and softer the shadows.

I've also looked at shoot through umbrellas. How effective are the shoot through umbrellas at distibuting and softening the lights?

Anyone have any photograph examples posted?

Thanks,
Deb

Hi Deb -

I've shot with both, generally speaking I prefer the box - you have more control over light "spillage" and there's options like louvres that help control light even more.

Umbrellas do a fine job, but tend to let light splash everywhere behind it...also, if you go with a shoot through umbrella you need to be careful that you don't get the umbrella "ribs" showing up in the catchlights.

Good Luck wichever way you go!

Bob

I have to agree with Bob. Besides more control, you get more light where you want it with a box. Umbrellas are great if you are in a hurry because the set up so fast.

FYI, Calumet is giving a 16X20 softbox free with the purchase of any of one of their softboxes. I bought one over the weekend and they look good. They just came yesterday so I haven't had time to test them yet.

Bob

Most reactions

Back