softboxes for hotshoe flashes

chammer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
after playing with off camera flash for a bit both with and without white translucent umbrellas and a silver umbrella im now looking for a softbox for my strobist setup.

i searched amazon, and so far have only found this one:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/ALZO-Porta-Flash-Speedlight-Softbox/dp/B0015ASKPQ/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267330758&sr=8-17]Amazon.com: ALZO Porta Flash Speedlight Softbox - Achieve studio quality images with your Portable Flash Speedlight - May require Shoe Mount Adaptor for NIKON SB-900* - by alzodigital.com: Electronics[/ame]

are there any others that you know of? i'd like to be able to use for head shots and 3/4 shots. if i could find one for a full body shot that'd be great, but not necessary at this point. im just not sure if the one linked is big enough for those applications.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
after playing with off camera flash for a bit both with and without white translucent umbrellas and a silver umbrella im now looking for a softbox for my strobist setup.

i searched amazon, and so far have only found this one:

Amazon.com: ALZO Porta Flash Speedlight Softbox - Achieve studio quality images with your Portable Flash Speedlight - May require Shoe Mount Adaptor for NIKON SB-900* - by alzodigital.com: Electronics

are there any others that you know of? i'd like to be able to use for head shots and 3/4 shots. if i could find one for a full body shot that'd be great, but not necessary at this point. im just not sure if the one linked is big enough for those applications.

I have a very similar model i got off ebay. Works great for head shots. Not sure if there are bigger models but you have to remember SB's dont have a whole lot of power for big stuff

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Wanting to do repeated 3/4 to full body shots with a softbox on a speedlight is going to be asking quite a bit. At this point, you may want to consider a strobe.

I have a very similar model i got off ebay. Works great for head shots. Not sure if there are bigger models but you have to remember SB's dont have a whole lot of power for big stuff

i think i was sorta expecting these kinda answers to be honest. thanks for the ebay link. i will try and pick one up in the next day or two, and look into a real strobe or two.

i guess that does, however, explain why i wasnt finding much. thanks guys. :)

BTW i paid about 40 for mine.

I also shoot with interfit EXD200 strobes that came with a 24x24 softbox which is alot better then my ebay one, it has 2 diffusers and the smoothness of light is alot better. I highly recomend interfit strobes as you can get alot more light/units per dollar compared to AB's, the quality is better then you would think, and theres a pretty big selection of available light modifiers

A guy I went to high school with has a photo store and studio/processing lab...he recommends the Interfit strobes pretty highly.

You know, if you want to use a softbox for full-length shots, I think it needs to be a 36x48 inch or even taller box for normal, easy working and with soft light. But really, for full-length stuff,a diffusion panel that's 48x72 inches and which has two flashes shot through it is actually cheaper and more versatile than a softbox. "Scrim lighting" would be the search string I'd use to find out more about how to light full-length people using this technique.

There are a number of different ways to jerry-rig two speedlight flashes so that toy can illuminate full length figures/larger sets with the larger softboxes. The web has a bunch of DIY solution articles.

Most reactions

Back