Software to calibrate your scanner?

MadVlrus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am not sure where exactly to post it, but it is technical so I thought that technical part of the forum would be good.

So I have purchased Spyder3StudioSR, and am very happy with it. The only problem is that, they do not have any scanner calibration.

There are normally special sheets that have specific colour ranges on them, that you scan in, and the software compares the scanned in images, against the original ones.

Now there has been another method used (not sure by what brand), whereby they print the image, then measure each colour square using the same device as they would to calibrate printer.
Now that the software knows the colours on paper, you can scan the paper in, and the software would compare the scanned colours against the ones you've measured, and create a profile from there.

Now my question is:
Is there a software that would let me print a page of colours and let me use my Spyder3PrintSR calibrator to measure these colours, after which is would require me to scan it in so it can create the profile?

I don't mind paying a bit for it.

Thank you!

Not sure what you could buy but if you print something how do you know your printer's color profile matches what should be? You'd need to buy something to scan

Couldn't tell you. First thing you need to do is go to the website of your scanner manufacturer and see what they offer for that scanner and what came in the bundle. You may have most if not all of what you need available right there.

There's some free software available on Sourceforge.net that will generate an ICC colour profile for you if you scan either a Kodak reference chart, or a Gretag Macbeth (X-rite) Colour Checker Chart.

The key here is you need a known input to feed your scanner.

And a spectrophotometer to "read" the scanned image.

Huh? You just need a known calibration target like a Colour Checker chart and then software analyses the resulting image.

You only need a spectrophotometer to read an output device, not an input device.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back