Solar acne

pursuer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here are a couple photos taken today showing a nice group of sunspots on our nearest stellar neighbor.

nov04bhc4.jpg

nov04ftz6.jpg

Somehow, I don't know why, your close-ups of the sun are unsettling ... I like the sun, and miss it a lot when clouds hide it for days and days on end, but to see it so close is ... thrilling, fascinating and totally unsettling at the same time!

You once explained to us how you do them, but ... would you care to do so over and again just because my old brains forget (old age, you know, where're my walking cane, dentures and reading glasses again!?!? :biggrin: )

now thats something you don't see on here everyday!!

great stuff

Thanks guys, These are a little different then my usual solar photos. I usually use a H-alpha telescope but these were taken with a normal 10" newtonian reflector fitted with a full aperture Baader film solar filter. Both photos were taken with my 300D. For the second shot the camera was connected directly to the telescope. For the first shot I coupled the camera with a televue 5X powermate for the extra magnification.

Oh, I replaced the first image with one that has slightly better post processing to bring out the background. Thanks for looking.

amazing... wow... breath taking... wow... my jaw dropped and run away...

Thanks again everyone, the largest spot is roughly the size of Jupiter which has a diameter of somewhere around 143,000 Km. It is truly hard to comprehend the scale of these images, the only word the fits is astronomical :)

I didn't realize we had a nice grouping on the near face. I'll have to try some shots tomorrow. But that close-up is great!

stellar photos... ;)

seriously though, these are amazing captures... :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back