Sold a print!

bace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I sold a print from my recent myspace update.

How sweet is that!

What's weird is that it's a print of a picture that when I was taking it the thought "what the effing hell am I taking this picture for" went through my head.

Cambridge Train Station - Cambridge, England
1290441591_l.jpg

Little bit of contrast in grayscale and it's apparently someone elses treasure.

I'm gonna sign the back with a note too. Apparently it's a birthday gift for someone.

good going base :thumbsup: .... proof that myspace is good for summin!

Congrats, Paul! It's a nice feeling, isn't it? :D

I dig this one, as well. Nice image.

Why is it when you get an 8x10 printed they cut off two inches of your picture. And why is that the dimensions of an actual picture differ from the actual dimensions of a print? How stupid is that?

Black's Photography sucks. Overpriced and stupid.

Blah!

They're printing a new one for free, but I'm not sure it'll fit in a frame now.

It's gonna be an 7x10 or something now?

Jeff Canes said:
dude ask for an 8x12

If they had the option I would have. Unfortunatly I didn't really think it would make much of a difference. Totally ruined the picture though.

Note to Self: Black's Photography BLOWS.

Meh...I don't think the person getting this print will notice anyway. Still though. Not how the picture was meant to be.

bace said:
If they had the option I would have. Unfortunatly I didn't really think it would make much of a difference. Totally ruined the picture though.

Note to Self: Black's Photography BLOWS.

Meh...I don't think the person getting this print will notice anyway. Still though. Not how the picture was meant to be.

Dude WTF, I work for Blacks and your issue has to do with you not knowing anything about aspect ratio. I’m sure the person at Blacks tried to explain the situation to you. Your comments never cease to amaze me. If you sized the image as a 4x6 how do you think it is going to fit into an 8x10? Simple math. 8x12 is available and is a full frame print.

I read very few of your posts but when I do you always seem to be trashing something like your “Why I hate Canada” post from way back.

Because you had a problem do you always have to go off the deep end and spout off.

Eric

So it's just poposturous to think that blacks might take into acount the uncommon knowledge of aspect ratio and how it affects their pictures when they're getting them blown up.

A simple assumption that a well known photography company wouldn't completely cut off part of a picture without some kind of warning. Or even some sort of message to say, "Hey if this is too big we're just gonna change it...cool?"

I think it's safe to say that they've had that problem before don't you?

And if the average picture is one aspect ratio, why would they suddenly just...change that aspect ratio? Especially if they can print 8x12's?

And if they can print 8x12's then why isn't that option available on their website? I would have picked that if it was there, because simple math does say the (4x6)2 = 8x12.

My silly assumtion came in thinking that if I sent them a print they would make sure that the whole print was on whatever size paper I wanted. Even if there was white marks on the side, which I've had done before.

My comment stands. Blacks Sucks.

Now as for you taking that personally? And a thread that was made how long ago? One which I don't even remember making, and was probably tounge in cheek? I do live in Canada ya know. I do pay taxes, and there's no where I would rather live.

I had a bad experience with a company. Am I not allowed to share that with people all of a sudden? Gimme a friggin break.

My problem is not understanding your issues, my problem is the hostile way you present them. If this was a one off occurrence I would not say anything.

Nuff said.

Eric

C'mon fellas...play nice.

Aspect ratio and standard photo size is a weird problem that has been around for a long time. Typical frames of 35mm film are 2:3 (4x6)...but the common size of frames (and therefore enlargements) is 5x7 and 8x10 etc.

Therefore, photo printers have been cropping photos for decades...and most consumers probably don't even notice.

I never let them make the decision for me...if I order an 8x10...I put it in that aspect ratio before I send it. If I don't want to crop it...I put the image onto an 8x10 canvas in photoshop...and they will print it with two strips of canvas around the image.

If you are dissatisfied with Blacks...just ask them to print it again...they are usually pretty good with stuff like that.

Big Mike said:
C'mon fellas...play nice.

Aspect ratio and standard photo size is a weird problem that has been around for a long time. Typical frames of 35mm film are 2:3 (4x6)...but the common size of frames (and therefore enlargements) is 5x7 and 8x10 etc.

Therefore, photo printers have been cropping photos for decades...and most consumers probably don't even notice.

I never let them make the decision for me...if I order an 8x10...I put it in that aspect ratio before I send it. If I don't want to crop it...I put the image onto an 8x10 canvas in photoshop...and they will print it with two strips of canvas around the image.

If you are dissatisfied with Blacks...just ask them to print it again...they are usually pretty good with stuff like that.

I have no problem with Blacks costomer service at all. I ordered a print online, uploaded a picture I wanted printed and the website changed the picture. It just makes no sense that they would alter a picture without pointing out that they're gonna do that.

I didn't have trouble getting them to print it how I wanted. It's just the idiocy of a company that would CHANGE your picture to fit a certain aspect ratio.

And my hostile way of presenting problems has always been slightly exagerated for effect.

I'm sorry if that bothers you. I'm not changing anytime soon.

P.S. I totally missed the meet-up. Is that why you're mad? Cause I totally wanted to come to that.:(

Missing the meet up has nothing to do with it. I usually never look at the posts in the off topic as I have no interest in them, I’m here for the photography and have no desire to get caught up in discussions about other stuff. I was checking out lostprophets post about the complaint as I was involved in the prank. I happened to see your post about selling an image and I though cool for you. I was going to write a congrats.

I take pride in the company I work for and we have excellent customer service. We go out of our way to make it right with the customer so I don’t like to hear “Blacks Blows” and “Blacks Sucks”.

I feel I would be spinning my wheels talking about the aspect ratio again so I will not even go there as I think Mike covered it very well.

Like last time you will be notified and invited to the next meet up.

Eric

One of the problems with that comes with the convenience of uploading images from home...is that we miss out on the face to face contact...which would probably have alleviated your problem. But when it comes down to it...I'd guess that 70% of printers/labs would have done the exact same as Blacks did. High end pro labs might have conferred with you...but Blacks and any other high volume consumer lab will crop as best they can and make the print.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back