Sold my D90 - They Want A Receipt For Taxes?

PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So very late last year I sold my Nikon D90 to a nice lady not too far from where I live, we met up and she bought it on the spot.

Now she's doing her taxes and wants a 'receipt' with the date of sale, amount and my signature. She's a professional photographer and got this as a backup camera.

I'm having a hard time grasping this, is this normal? She needs me to send it out today.

This is the lady I'm second shooting with for a couple weddings this summer. She's really nice and everything, but for some reason I'm not comfortable with it.

I'm not a retailer, it was a private sale.

Thoughts?

It seems normal to me... she has her own business and is getting some write-off for the camera I'm guessing, because it's a business-related expense. Just guessing though.

Yeah, I can see that... but at the same time wouldn't I have had to claim the sale as well?

Yeah, I can see that... but at the same time wouldn't I have had to claim the sale as well?

In short, no. It may benefit her to write it off, but just because you sell something like that, doesn't mean you need to write it off.

You may get a bigger tax return not writing everything off. My guess is her return is bigger with all the write offs.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe she wants 1year guarantee with it as well?!
I'm not sure about laws in your state and I know nothing about accounting, but buying it from you, a private person on the street, it is the same as buying a hotdog from a hotdog vendor or generic duracell batteries at a flea market - done, finished, all sales are final. Now, if you watch daytime court shows, it isn't exactly as a hotdog but i don't think you are obliged to show her any receipts, it isn't like she showed you a copy of her business certificate, tax ID number ;)

Well if she does put it on her taxes and ends up getting audited, she could always be nice enough to send the IRS to your door to find out when you sold it to her and for how much.

She doesn't want the original receipt, just something with my name, date I sold it to her, price and my signature.

I printed one out, I'll just send it... I just hadn't heard of this before (nor dealt with it).

Thanks everyone.

She needs a receipt in case she is audited by the IRS. She is using the camera as a deduction on her taxes. She needs to have the receipt say that she bought a D90, what price it was and when the purchase took place.

There is no mystery. Its for tax purposes.

Unless you are a professional photographer and itemizing your gear, that's as far as it concerns you. You won't have to show the receipt as income since you are selling off a personal item.

Don't get worried about it, it's a normal request and one she should have asked for at the time.

This is perfectly normal.

This doesn't mean anything for you other than writing up a "bill of sale"; just written and signed proof that you sold it to her.

For you, it's a "personal sale", not a taxable business transaction.

I think it would be a perfectly reasonable request on her part. It doesn't obligate you to anything (you could even print "All Sales Final" on the bottom if you want). It might also be useful to her if she wants to put it in her insurance policy floater.

If i sell anything always make one out saying bought as seen then your covered, i would say if she dosn't get one you will not be second shooting any weddings :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back