Solitude

Who was it that made that thread about not posting pictures of your kids for CC? I know he hasn't been around in a long time.
Anyway, I think that thread applies here..

Says a LOT about you too. Carry on, or whatever.

BitterJeweler can't help yourself to be a douche now can you? Always doing a ****load of talking but not a lot of walking.
You might want to check out http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/black-white-gallery/243236-emotion.html I think you left some residue behind.

* And to those that care to wonder why I am sticking my nose into this matter well for one Mindfloodz is a friend yeah he needs to learn a little about taking critique, but that is not the point. The point is this tool BitterJeweler all he does is bash people's threads repeatedly it get's old say something constructive helpful or just plain & simple don't look at the image and bark up somewhere else. Bickering back & forth on the same thread just shows you stepped down low & acting a little immature on your own part.

Depicting an image and tearing it apart does what? NOTHING but belittle the person who shared the image with us this isn't critique this is just being an ass. And for that reason alone I am jumping on here it has nothing to do with being friends with mindfloodz I will back up anyone being ridiculed. Enough of this crap put up or shut up hey come on over and do some of the hdr challenges since you are always talking of such high expectations show us what you have yeah exactly a bag full of air.

Last edited:
BitterJeweler can't help yourself to be a douche now can you? Always doing a ****load of talking but not a lot of walking.
You might want to check out http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/black-white-gallery/243236-emotion.html I think you left some residue behind.

Not a lot of walking, eh? You are entitled to your narrow view of the world.
Residue? I didn't realize it was my responsibility to wipe up his tears.

* And to those that care to wonder why I am sticking my nose into this matter well for one Mindfloodz is a friend yeah he needs to learn a little about taking critique, but that is not the point.
No, of course that is not the point. Deleting posts, and stopping discussion because one doesn't like what they are reading is perfectly acceptable.

The point is this tool BitterJeweler all he does is bash people's threads repeatedly it get's old say something constructive helpful or just plain & simple don't look at the image and bark up somewhere else.
Is that really ALL I do? Oh, I see, we are back to your narrow view. This run on sentence of yours also suggests, to everyone, that only positive comments are allowed on this forum. Interesting concept.

Bickering back & forth on the same thread just shows you stepped down low & acting a little immature on your own part.
Yeah, you are right, the commentary AFTER the OP deleted all his posts was probably not needed. Review the thread, and you will see there was no bickering back and forth prior to the OP's noble actions. Deleting posts before I even had a chance to respond in a civil manner. But do point the douchbaggery finger at me, it is totally warranted.

Depicting an image and tearing it apart does what? NOTHING but belittle the person who shared the image with us this isn't critique this is just being an ass.
Again, I forgot that we are only allowed to like everything posted on the forum, and never say anything contrary to the glowing reviews. That is indeed helpful to a person looking to get better.

And for that reason alone I am jumping on here it has nothing to do with being friends with mindfloodz
Oh, of course not. The mere mentioning of the friendship does nothing to color your response.

I will back up anyone being ridiculed.
Oh, game on!
Start HERE, somebody needs saving!

Enough of this crap put up or shut up
You are right. Someday I should actually post a picture here for critique. :roll: Oh, wait! I have! I will also continue to do so, when I have images I feel are worthy of sharing. See, I have moved beyond that point of sharing every bit of garbage that comes out of my camera.

hey come on over and do some of the hdr challenges since you are always talking of such high expectations show us what you have yeah exactly a bag full of air.
What if I don't care for HDR photography? Notice I don't go over there and critique them?

So what would change your mind about me? Do I need to post a resume?
Or would it be much classier of me to post a picture flipping you off?

Last edited:
It's not worth getting too much into it, but I just wanna say I disagree with pretty much every damned thing Provo said and I think Bitter is a stand-up guy.

People on this damn forum are such a crack up. They want to post asking for critique, but then tell the people critiquing what is and is not acceptable when the critique is being delivered. That's kind of like asking a car mechanic to tell you what is wrong with your car, but telling him he's not allowed to open the hood or make any references to motor oil during the process.

If you're going to make the assumption that someone may know more than you about how to improve something, you may also want to make the assumption that they know more than you do about how to deliver the information.

Funny thing is, all this came from C&C from me that wasn't even that harsh. lol I just gave you examples of ways that "Solitude" would be better conveyed. If anything good came out of this.....at least I really enjoyed your "Emotion" shot.......:sexywink:

It's not worth getting too much into it, but I just wanna say I disagree with pretty much every damned thing Provo said and I think Bitter is a stand-up guy.

People on this damn forum are such a crack up. They want to post asking for critique, but then tell the people critiquing what is and is not acceptable when the critique is being delivered. That's kind of like asking a car mechanic to tell you what is wrong with your car, but telling him he's not allowed to open the hood or make any references to motor oil during the process.

If you're going to make the assumption that someone may know more than you about how to improve something, you may also want to make the assumption that they know more than you do about how to deliver the information.

Opening the hood and telling someone what's wrong with their vehicle is one thing, but to tell them they should have purchased a Caddy versus a Ford is another story. Then you go on to tell them their car doesn't have the type of interior you like, because you prefer cloth to leather, so it's a piece of crap. Oh and BTW I hate your paint job too!!! I prefer red to blue. Oh and them rims you put on your car, they are Ghetto and make you look like your trying to be in a music video.. etc.. I could go on and on.

Anyhow, the point is, to hold every single member to a standard as high as a professional is a bit counter-productive.Not everyone has professional experience under their belt. It's a bit disheartening and honestly very unmotivating after receiving such a harsh critique. If you're gonna give someone a critique, rather than completely ripping the picture in two, try to ATLEAST tell them what they are doing right, as well as doing wrong

. I believe many people come on here that think their sh!t smells sweeter than most and just tears down everyone's work except for their little cliques. Those clicks sit around in a circle and pat each other on the back. That's how I've see it. I've done a little digging.

Honestly, I'd prefer you not comment on my work at all if you have nothing to say that will lets me know what I'm doing right as well as wrong. I don't want kittens and teddy bears, but I'm just starting out, and I have people telling me one thing and then I got people telling me another. Who do I believe? I don't know who is right and who is wrong. It's very confusing to say the least.

it's like having the expectations of a college student from someone in junior high. It's just not gonan happen unless they are some sort of child prodigy. I don't claim my work is great, but i don't think it's quite as bad as the three of you have made it out to be. I belong to 4+ forums, and this is the only place I received such harsh criticism. Majority rules, or I've been lead to believe.

Funny thing is, all this came from C&C from me that wasn't even that harsh. lol I just gave you examples of ways that "Solitude" would be better conveyed. If anything good came out of this.....at least I really enjoyed your "Emotion" shot.......:sexywink:

Your's wasn't that harsh and I actually can appreciate your critique, it was the peanut gallery that I direct most of my commentary back at.

I enjoy the emotion shot too. I've already had two buyers within 20 minutes of posting

In all of this atleast I broke 50 replies.

See we should get a cut of the money you make....lol We were the inspiration!!! :sexywink:

hey come on over and do some of the hdr challenges since you are always talking of such high expectations show us what you have yeah exactly a bag full of air.
What if I don't care for HDR photography? Notice I don't go over there and critique them?

So what would change your mind about me? Do I need to post a resume?
Or would it be much classier of me to post a picture flipping you off?

A simple search for your username and HDR section polls up the following.
Two of which where actually nice comments on two of my images which I thank you for.

Look I don't hold nothing against anyone what was said and all I'm saying if someone not just to point the finger at you but in general if someone post an image and it's not your cup of tea think a little before you type something be constructive not just bash the image. I already talked to mindfloodz and told him he needs to take critique a little better it's a fact of life not everyone is going to like your image hell some people haven't like mine but that doesn't make me go at war with everyone. Just be civil is all im saying I know I blew up and said somethings which I apologize for but man it takes a lot to get me started. Anyway I am squashing this you two need to get along in which ever way you both decide. I said what I had to say and I am moving along.
2r78sb9.jpg

For those playing at home, here is one of the posts that was considered harsh and the OP's response to it was deleted:
I jump in on the not caring for it camp. I don't think the tree adds anything to the image, and I rarely find shots of the back of people to be very emotive at all. At first look, I thought the edging around the tulips was a bear trap, which made me look more closely at that to realize what it was. That means that stuff is a distraction.

It's all pretty much my opinion isn't it? Is it really that harsh? Is it harsh to the OP simply because it's the OP's precious daughter and he has a connection to the image that no other viewer will have. I will say it again, as it applies to all any image like this, I rarely find shots of the back of people to be very emotive. There is nothing for for me in this image that suggests she is sad. To me, she is simply looking down. A suggestive title doesn't change that. It is also my opinion that a successful image should be able to stand alone without a title. Isn't that the goal of photography? To tell a story with imagery?

Anyhow, the point is, to hold every single member to a standard as high as a professional is a bit counter-productive.Not everyone has professional experience under their belt. It's a bit disheartening and honestly very unmotivating after receiving such a harsh critique. If you're gonna give someone a critique, rather than completely ripping the picture in two, try to ATLEAST tell them what they are doing right, as well as doing wrong.
What standard should be applied? The standard of amateurs that dont understand composition and visual language? It's funny that so many people flock here wanting the opinions of professionals and want to hear how they can improve, wanting to learn about composition from someone who has a firm grasp of it. It's at the sole discretion of the person posting the image what to take from the comments. This place is interesting in that people continually whine that they don't get enough comments, or that they don't like the comments, or that they weren't given in a particularly pleasing way. It's also very interesting to see the ignorance of people who really don't know anything coming here to learn, to say that they know better. To post someone elses opinion from another forum, is pretty meaningless. Who are they? What are their credentials? By being combative with a differing opinion, you will only stack the deck in your favor. When others see differing opinions are unwelcome, they will refuse to comment on future posts, and your learning is hampered by that.

I believe many people come on here that think their sh!t smells sweeter than most and just tears down everyone's work except for their little cliques. Those clicks sit around in a circle and pat each other on the back. That's how I've see it. I've done a little digging.

You know what, there ARE better photographers here than the majority of members. You need to accept that, and maybe learn from them. But if you can't, then you won't learn. What you see, with your "digging" may not be a complete picture, and it's pretty obvious, not very objective. A beginners forum, where a majority of the images posted are pretty much less than awesome, will obviously have more negative comments than glowing reviews. It's not rocket science. Glowing reviews can be had in barrels from Facebook, Flickr, Friends, and Family. The four F's! Your digging also failed you, because the "clique" has no problem letting another know when their images aren't strong. Speaking of cliques, I see two of them, one clique cannot accept negative responses, and thus recieves fewer comments, and the other clique recieves negative comments well, thus they will recieve more comments. Dig further and you will see that.

Honestly, I'd prefer you not comment on my work at all if you have nothing to say that will lets me know what I'm doing right as well as wrong. I don't want kittens and teddy bears, but I'm just starting out, and I have people telling me one thing and then I got people telling me another. Who do I believe? I don't know who is right and who is wrong. It's very confusing to say the least.
This is exactly the point I made above. What if you didn't do anything right? What if your composition is lacking, your focus is soft, it's under exposed, and the subject is lacking? What good is there to talk about? Should everyone just not comment? Who do you believe? Who is right and who is wrong? No one and everyone! You need to take all the comments (opinions) and process them yourself. Really think about them. OBJECTIVELY, removing any attachment you have to the subject. That's not so easy to do, is it? You need to take comments like "people shot from behind rarely convey emotion" and apply it to your images and other peoples images and decide how true it is for yourself. Find examples of when it actually works, and figure out why. None of this is so cut and dry that anyone here can give you definitive answers. You need to be able to actually discuss issues brought up, rather than getting mad and deleting your posts and sticking your head in the sand.

it's like having the expectations of a college student from someone in junior high. It's just not gonan happen unless they are some sort of child prodigy.
So how do you make someone strive to be better? Coddle them, or be harsh? From what I experienced in Uni, that is exactly what seperated the wheat from the chaff. Critiques were brutal! You either learned from it and strived to be better, or you ignored it, complained about it, and never got better. This is also why not everyone who sets out to be a great (anything) becomes great. Not all of the people who really strived to be better became better either. Who do you want to be taught by, the mediocre, or the successful.

I don't claim my work is great, but i don't think it's quite as bad as the three of you have made it out to be.
What if it is? Not being rude, and not saying it is that bad, but seriously, what if it is? What do you do then?

I belong to 4+ forums, and this is the only place I received such harsh criticism.
What does that speak to? You can spin the data any way you feel most comfortable with.

Majority rules, or I've been lead to believe.

Depends on the majority. Is the majority MWC's? Or is the majority working pros?
If ten MWC's who advertise their services on Craiglist say this image is amazing, and one Zack Arias says the image is awful in every way...
Majority rules?

While it was very cute of you to post a big FVCK YOU to everyone, how about you own up to your own bad behaviour that extinguished any constructive discussion before you or Provo point fingers. Hmmm? This thread took the bad turn the minute you did that. Own it.

I was speaking to the challenges that you specifically brought up.

A simple search for your username and HDR section polls up the following.
Two of which where actually nice comments on two of my images which I thank you for.

Yay! My own posting history proved you wrong. :lmao:

What got me heated to begin with is the "bear trap comment" That was the spark that lit the fire. Unless you've never seen one before, i can't image how it could be mistaken for anything else. Also, I own my own childishness for posting my photo "emotion". It was totally tongue in cheek and i wanted to get a rise out of it as well as be humorous.

In terms of solitude, if I polled 100 random people and asked what emotion this picture conveyed, I'd bet ya my Canon T1i that a majority would say sadness or loneliness. I was just taken back by the idea that this message was not conveyed to you. do you have children? Maybe this is only understood by those who have kids, maybe not. IDK.

As I said before, maybe in the future you could swallow your pride just a bit and tell someone what is right, along with what is wrong.

Also, is it that bad? Honestly? Is it better than JCpenny's or Sears, or the Picture people in the mall? you know, the commercial photography places.. It's not Professional, but it's certainly not the work of a simple point and shoot either, It's sharp, the white to black conversion is decent, and it obeys the rule of thirds. So what's really wrong with it outside of your "bear trap"? Compositionally speaking, it's valid.

I would like to add, I do apologize for deleting my replies and would like to further extend this apology for my other behavior as an end to the bickering.

Most reactions

Back