Solitude

Raindog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This was basically a test of my new 70-200mm paired with a tc-20e, I wanted to see how it would perform handheld in less than perfect light. I have drawn my own conclusions but here it is...

D2H
400MM
1/350
ISO200
F8

_DSC4649.jpg

With a shutter speed of 1/350 you should'nt have any problems hand held or otherwise for a shot like that, and the light looks pretty good from here.

Rod-UK said:
With a shutter speed of 1/350 you should'nt have any problems hand held or otherwise for a shot like that, and the light looks pretty good from here.

Well the rule is 1/focal length for shutter speed *which would be 1/400) and he was slower than that with 1/350. Very nice shot.

Haha, yes, that is the rule, unbreakable, immutable, true in all situations. :D

Actually, for me it would be more like 1/ (2xfocal length)... my meds make my hands a bit jittery. :) I think you did a very nice job considering the fact that it was handheld.

Thanks,
As Scott mentioned, even getting a subject in focus handheld at this FL is an achievement for me.

Here's another from this afternoon, probably the same bird...

_DSC4785.jpg

I like it Raindog. I like the light in particular. And your focus on the bird is so nice. I think it's wonderful.

yeah I agree Elsaspet. Light is great :) And really nice picures.

ahhh - spectacular.

Very impressive - especialy for handheld. I hope that you are happy with the results. Love the DOF !!!.

about tht rule : If memory serves me the D2H has a 1.5x lens factor. That would mean that minimum suggested shutter speed is 400mm x 1.5 - that is 1/600s . Makes the handheld part even more impressive.

Hanno

I'm shocked that this is from F8. With the DOF the way that it is, it looks more like a F2.8!

SO SHARP! They are just wonderful shots! Good composition, and for handheld that's seriously good!

Most reactions

Back