some advice please guru's

vim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi just wondered if this is possible ?:
hypothetically for now

i wondered if i could say do a portrait shoot and put the images onto disk for the customer to view with a watermark (i know i can do this bit lol :D ) and put say disklock protection software so the disk couldn't be copied also can i put any other anti copywright software on the disk to stop the customer printing the pics?

i know i can reduce the file and dpi etc but i just wondered if i could keep the finished photos at their best so the customer can pick which ones they want but cant print or copy the disk?
if there's nothing out there yet remember it was my idea lol 50/50 split :lol:
thanx for any input u guys give
truly appreciated
peace

vim

I can't recall any of the software, but I'm sure there is something avaliable. Of course, you can't protect the images from everyone...someone will always be smart enough to get around it.

I would think that using low rez files with watermarks would keep most people from making their own prints.

cheers big mike m8 thats one option i was thinking about using the same copyright encryption used on most pc games theres a few disklok etc that would basically render their cd/dvd writer unable to copy over the files and manipulate them of course u can patch this and get round it but the normal guy dont know this.
if software was out there to stop a jpeg or tiff etc being printed from a disc and also stops the customers ability to copy the files would be a good move for any photographer/company to have.
just a silly what if question but i thought id ask it anyways.
peace

vim

Not a silly question at all. In fact, in the new digital area this is becoming more of an issue all the time. Even with the ease and affordability of scanners, it's a worry that people would scan 4x6 prints and make copies or enlargements that way.

The idea being that you will make a portion of your revenue from print sales. Back in the day, it was unheard of to give up your negatives unless for a big price. Now, everybody wants the digital files.

I think what a lot of people are doing is to charge for the files, in order to make up for lost print sales. Then people can print, copy or do whatever they want with the files and you don't have to be contacted again.

The problem with this is that you have no control over how your images will be printed. While you might print it on an expensive professional printer or at a pro lab...they might print it on fax paper with their $50 ink jet. And it's your reputation on the line here...if they make a crappy print of a great image, and someone asks who the photographer was...you look bad.

I think a lot of people are still trying to figure out what is best.

erm.. I am new here. I have just started "professional" photography this year by being a school photographer. Its kinda a good experience but i would like to know how to get the best shots in a crowded area, and how to know the best angle. Thanks...

LensManiac said:
erm.. I am new here. I have just started "professional" photography this year by being a school photographer. Its kinda a good experience but i would like to know how to get the best shots in a crowded area, and how to know the best angle. Thanks...

you need to start your own topic

hi lensmaniac, lunatick is correct it might have been better to introduce urself however hi and welcome, this forum rules!
in response to ur question i would say rather than looking for the best angle i would take lots of pics at different angles positions and study the best ones u think are, ask ppls advice and u will soon know the most likely positions to get into to get the best shot,there is no set position i know of but im no pro!.
in the field of photography there is so much personal diversity that a pic that looks good to u may not to others.
the more u try the easier it becomes well thats my take on stuff in general.
peace
vim

To the OP.

You could reduce the resolution of them so they look OK on screen but crappy if printed.

The other thing you could do is turn them in to a PDF document. Secure it using Adobe Acrobats security so they cannot print, extract or save etc and give that to them. Adobe security is 128bit encryption. Whilst it can be broken, it is alot of effort to go through.

Hope this helps.

Moose

many thanx moose will look into that option
peace
vim

Moose said:
To the OP.

You could reduce the resolution of them so they look OK on screen but crappy if printed.

The other thing you could do is turn them in to a PDF document. Secure it using Adobe Acrobats security so they cannot print, extract or save etc and give that to them. Adobe security is 128bit encryption. Whilst it can be broken, it is alot of effort to go through.

Hope this helps.

Moose

I'm with moose on this one. The pdf option works well. Plus you have the benifit of all the other PDF options like embeding links to your photo site when clicking on photos. Or just a simple order sheet at the end that can all be self contained in one easy to open and navigate PDF file.

Most reactions

Back