Some beginner photos

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Taleman, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Taleman

Taleman TPF Noob!

Hey, I was just hoping to get some critique on a few photos I took.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Taleman

Taleman TPF Noob!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I was hoping for a cheeseburger and fries, however since I couldn't find that, C&C per req:
    Overall, an interesting group, obviously close-up / macro work is an area of interest for you. Generally nicely exposed images, but with a few composition and focus issues.
    1. Regardless of whether or not you're shooting macro, always try to avoid composing a scene where the subject is positioned in such a way that you are looking at a long object end-on; in this case the elephants trunk, as you get no real idea of it's size relative to the main subject. As well, similiar objects in a line like this tend to confuse the eye. Where does the first one end and the second one start? Finally, focus and DoF: Again, when focusing on an object where a great DoF is required (due to the trunk) you will run into difficulties in macro work. Ideall, I would suggest reshooting this from a side perspective with the main (focused one) in front of and ahead of the secondary one.
    2. Nice, however the crop is a little tight, clipping off some of each bell as well as the orange rope. Again focus is an issue; the two bells closest to the camera are on a very similar relative plane and should be in focus.
    3. Nice use of selective focus to blur the background and keep the main subject almost (but not quite) sharp. COmposition is important as in this case, without the detail of the frog's eyes, it's not terribly interesting. I realize that it might have been difficult to get all that in, and one of the lessons to learn early on is: You can't always get the picture you see in your mind.
    4. Again focus, the leaves slightly to the rear of the main subject are sharp, but the bloom(?) is not. As well, when you're doing macro work, especially with a single plant feature, close crops and ignoring the rule of thirds are often okay.
    Nice work - just pay more attention to your point of focus and DoF. The composition details will come with time, and are largely a matter of personal preference.
    Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.
    ~John

Edited to add:

Hmmm, these didn't show up the first time I opened thepost.
    5. Overall focus is a little soft, and the lighting harsh. A reflector (even white paper) would have helped to illuminate the undersides which are quite dark.
    6, 7. Good background in both, but about 1/2 stop under-exposed, and soft in focus. As well a slight saturation boost in post would be welcome.
    8. Hmmm... interesting subject. A little of everything. About one stop underexposed, or perhaps 1 1/2, and again, no discernable point of focus.

4. Taleman

Taleman TPF Noob!

Thanks for the help. But what does

Mean?

Sorry I understood everything else I just don't get that part.

5. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Saturation refers to the 'depth' or intensity of the colour. Basically how blue that blue is or red the red is. The image in question looks rather grey to me, so while you're running your images through your favorite image editor, adjust the saturation level a little to make the colour more intense.

Hope that clears it up, if you need more info, PM me.