Some Beginners Questions...

deathmullet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey guys first post.
just some quick and random questions i have for you.

firstly, since i am just starting off, i am just learning how to use the basic zones of my rebel xt. so when i go to transfer them onto my computer they are restricted to jpeg only. i want to be organized and keep the 1 original (either RAW or JPEG) and do some editing in photoshop. Once i am done my initial editing, what should i save the picture as? a tiff file would end up being roughly 20 MB and i am hesitant of JPEGs compression. so what format should i choose?

also, as far as emailing the pics and sharing, what image size should i re-size the photos as? any recommendations? i am assuming these shared files should be sent as JPEG copies of my edited files (re-sized however).

thanks! also is it reccomended that i stay in the basic zone until i get a feel for the camera and get the basics down? i only assumed this but want to make sure i am making the correct decision!

thanks!
Ross

why not just save it as psd, you can modify changes with ease later

Hey Ross... welcome to the Forum.

I'm not sure about the Canon XT questions but I can speak to the file type / size ones.

Generally I keep the file as it came out of the camera. If it's a keeper I'll convert it to a TIFF for editing and printing only and then I'll save that file in a RAW folder. If I want to email or post on the web... I'll convert it jpeg and make the width or height 500 pixels... depending on the orientation of the pic (landscape or portrait). That should knock it down to a size that's safe to email without clogging up everyone's Inbox.

Also if you're really going to post a lot to the web Photoshop will "Save For Web..." where it compresses it a bit heavier to keep the file sizes down.

The RAW files I'll put on a DVD-RW and remove from the HD cuz like you said... they're usually around 17mgs. Storage is pretty cheap though... you could get a DVD writer, check out a site like Xdrive.com or get an external hard drive.

thanks guys! just to clarify, when you say why not save it as a photoshop image, would this cause any compression? and how big would the file be? why does it seem like more people just resave as tiffs and do their editing with these files. thanks!

The file sizes would be smaller... I want to say around 5 mb's and it would save all of your layer info. I don't think you can print from a .psd file though unless you're in Photoshop... but I could be wrong.

rmh159 said:
The file sizes would be smaller... I want to say around 5 mb's and it would save all of your layer info. I don't think you can print from a .psd file though unless you're in Photoshop... but I could be wrong.

okay, so out of curiousity why dont you save your edits as psd's? you said you convert to a tiff. is this to share?

Tiff is more of a universal format...just about any program can open a Tiff...so even if you lost your Photoshop for some reason...you can still open the tiff files.

I personally save my working copies in PSD format.

Last time I checked...I think that when I saved images as both Tiff and PSD...they were the same size. You can save Tiff files with layers intact b.t.w.

Welcome to the forum :D Flames Suck

Big Mike said:
Tiff is more of a universal format...just about any program can open a Tiff...so even if you lost your Photoshop for some reason...you can still open the tiff files.

I personally save my working copies in PSD format.

Last time I checked...I think that when I saved images as both Tiff and PSD...they were the same size. You can save Tiff files with layers intact b.t.w.

Welcome to the forum :D Flames Suck

haha thanks i guess when i get home i will take the original jpegs and do a save in each format and see what is up.
p.s

losers-2.jpg

oh and a second question of the millions to come.

ive tried looking but basically have come up short on this. im looking for like a guide to as what each component does to a picture.(im talking like zoom, iso, aperture etc) like as far as settings go. i think it would be cool to see it in like some form of timeline if that is possible. like from the stages from the camera. i think this would be an extremely great tool for beginners as it would show all of the stages and what to keep in mind. kinda like this. (disregard the order)

BEGINNING:

stance (camera shake and angles)
zoom (how it affects your image, loss of clarity etc)
iso (how it effects, when to use, what it does etc)
white balance ( how it effects etc.)
depth of field (blah blah blah)

and then go into stuff such as filters (in camera stuff like black and white, sephia, color balance and that stuff)

or if anyone can link me to something like this i would be extremely greatful. basically i would like a run through of each stage and what can be altered at that level and how it will effect the outcome. just a suggestion!

:lol:...never seen that one before.

p.s.
Scoreboard.jpg

i think its safe to say both teams are doing **** poor right now haha

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="<A href="http://www.youtube.com/v/g-YC45neUKc"></param><param">http://www.youtube.com/v/g-YC45neUKc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g-YC45neUKc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

deathmullet said:
oh and a second question of the millions to come.

ive tried looking but basically have come up short on this. im looking for like a guide to as what each component does to a picture.(im talking like zoom, iso, aperture etc) like as far as settings go. i think it would be cool to see it in like some form of timeline if that is possible. like from the stages from the camera. i think this would be an extremely great tool for beginners as it would show all of the stages and what to keep in mind. kinda like this. (disregard the order)

BEGINNING:

stance (camera shake and angles)
zoom (how it affects your image, loss of clarity etc)
iso (how it effects, when to use, what it does etc)
white balance ( how it effects etc.)
depth of field (blah blah blah)

and then go into stuff such as filters (in camera stuff like black and white, sephia, color balance and that stuff)

or if anyone can link me to something like this i would be extremely greatful. basically i would like a run through of each stage and what can be altered at that level and how it will effect the outcome. just a suggestion!

There is a really great book called Photography by: John Upton and Barbara London. It is rather expensive new but you can get an older edition on ebay. The older editions don't go into digital as much but as far as basic photography like the above you were mentioning it covers it all and is very good. There are also some really good articles here on the site that will help.

HA HA...typical Calgary...hits from behind...after the whistle :lol:

At least the flames haven't had any games ripped from them by Ref. Mick Magough.

Big Mike said:
HA HA...typical Calgary...hits from behind...after the whistle :lol:

At least the flames haven't had any games ripped from them by Ref. Mick Magough.

****ing magough

Most reactions

Back