Some C&C please! :)

dyliebug2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
CSC_0309.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

i am just learning and just want some pointers on taking better pictures of kids. thanks much!

Well in my opinion the expressions of both of these kids could use some work. Depends on what you are looking for in these shots, but each kid either looks confused or posed. The backgrounds are busy and distract from the photos. Thats just my opinion.

^+1. They look like typical snapshots. Try filling the frame more instead of the background clutter. Try shooting vertically.

i agree with the above.
take more time to compose. look at the surroundings, and try to keep it less distracting. as stated, these look like spur of the moment snapshots.
when shooting my son (7yo), i prefer to grab candids as opposed to posed. he tends to try too hard to make the biggest smile he can lol.
it's not film, so it won't cost a dime. shoot the heck out of 'em, and keep practicing composition and keeping in mind the area around your subject(s).

You have cute kids so that is a good start!
Your shots are pretty good snapshots.
Both pictures seem underexposed. Try moving them closer to the bright window or door I see behind your son. Put the window at your back so the kids are facing you with the light in their faces. You will be able to see their eyes brighter and it will be easier to expose the shot better.
As mentioned by those above
it will help to shoot where the background isn't as busy or cluttered but that can be hard when you are going for candid shots.
As for posing, I know how tough it can be to get kids to cooperate so you have my sympathy there.
Also if you shoot from below someone's face make sure they are looking down so you don't shoot up their nose.
You have a good start, there is much to learn.
Here is a book many people on the forum have read and recommend that is a big help.

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film Or Digital Camera: Amazon.ca: Bryan Peterson: Books

Pick up a Nikon SB-600 and throw it on your camera. I assure you that you will be much happier with your photographs with that simple upgrade. While you will still need to work on your composure, your lighting will be nice and crisp.

Channeling Bitter......

What do you think of these photos? What were you trying to achieve with them?

/bitter....

My pointer is to ask yourself these questions before pushing the button. It will allow you to take a photograph that you will look look back on years from now and still have the same warm, happy feeling about. Yes these are your children (I am assuming), and yes you love them (also assuming), but removing that connection to the picture and you are left with little to nothing.

Technically there are things to work on, but the others went over that somewhat.

Please don't take this as being mean, but helpful.

p!nK

I will definetly be getting that book. It sounds like it is a good book with lots of helpful info. I am still learning my camera (Nikon D5000) so I just took these to play around and see what happens. Its a big camera to learn, especially for a beginner. Any other books you recommend?

The boy is my oldest son, the girl is my niece.

I am definetly not taking this the wrong way- I am actually glad you guys are so blunt and honest.

As far as what I think of the pictures, besides loving the kids in it. # 1 I hated the background. #2, I wish I could have gotten her to look at me, and definetly more light. I am trying to learn to not center my pictures as much. These are still a little centered, but not as much as my last post.

Thanks much!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back