Some Car Facts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by KmH, May 17, 2017 at 3:28 PM.

1. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The average American car sits doing nothing for 92% of it's life. Accounting for all of a car's costs, fuel, insurance, depreciation, upkeep, etc the average US car owner pays $12,544 a year. Own a SUV or pickup truck? Add an additional $1908.
    More than $0.80 of each $1 spent on gasoline is wasted by the inherent inefficiencies of the modern internal combustion engine. No part of our transportation infrastructure and daily lives wastes more energy than the modern automobile.

The traffic death toll in 2015 exceeded 3000 deaths per month, or more than 12 (per year) of the coordinated terrorist attacks on the morning of Tuesday, September 11, 2001 that killed 2,996 people.
    2.5 million people are seriously injured in car crashes each year. The only wars we have had that had a higher injury rate were the Civil War, WWI & WWII.

If the price of gasoline reflected the true cost and various types of damage cars cause gas would cost way more than $10 per gallon.

Lets consider the impact automobiles have on Earth's global environment.
    Commercial airliners contribute 8% of US transportation related greenhouse gases. Between June 2014 and May 2015 US commercial flyers took 779 million airline trips.
    Americans take 1.1 billion car trips every day. And the vast majority of those car trips serve to transport just 1 person.
    So cars, trucks, and SUVs contribute 83% of US transportation related greenhouse gases.

The total yearly economic & societal cost of motor vehicle death and injury is pegged at $826 billion.
    The yearly direct costs alone - medical bills, taxes, insurance payments - come to $784 for every man, woman, and child in the US.

Lets look closer at the yearly serious injuries number (injuries requiring emergency room trauma care) which is about 2.5 million people per year compared to US wars.
    If you combine the number of wounded & dead from the Revolution, the War of 1812, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, & Iraq, - you would still come up short.

All this waste, pollution and carnage is pretty much taken for granted and just considered 'status quo'.

Against the numbers above, one of the hottest issues in the US is about the fact firearms are used to kill some 13,000 people a year in the U.S., not counting suicide, even though driving a car in the US is more dangerous than going to fight in a shooting war.

Fail.

2. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    But no one tells me my car is overbooked, randomly decides I have to vacate my car and then beats me up. I think I will keep my car.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  4. snowbear

snowbear Big Furball Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I thought that gas powered lawn mowers were worse; and possibly boats (where fuel consumption is typically measured in gallons per hour)

• Like Like x 1
  5. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah. Not giving up my car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't buy that for a second.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    DSCN0886_Car accident.JPG
    The impact of Car #1, the white car, caused a lot of damage to the rear section of Car #2, the silver vehicle.

DSCN0900_EMTs check Car 3 driver.JPG
    The driver of Car #3 is being checked out by paramedics, complaining of neck pain.

DSCN0905_Car 2 Car 1 damage.JPG

Here the silver vehicle, Car #2 has been separated from Car #1, at the direction of the responding police officer.

How WEIRD!!!! Today on my way home,les than three hours ago, my car (Car #4,not shoiwn in these photos) was hit from behind in a chain-reaction car crash at a stoplight on US Highway 30. My car's rear bumper took all the impact of the car behind me and left my car UN-damaged! Hooray! (I call that guy Car #3, the car that sdlammed into me)!

The two cars behind him were seriously smashed up! Car #2 had its rear section damaged quite a bit; the car that caused the crash, Car #1, was a white Hyundai Elantra driven by a 20-something young woman.

The 65 year-old driver of Car #3 was taken to the hospital.

• Like Like x 1
  8. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    Few years ago just out of Huntsville, AL on the south bound lanes over the TN river I saw hood's and trunks crumple way up ahead. Some creative braking allowed me to not only stop but keep the one behind from rear ending me. When the dust settled and the chain reaction ended I was in the center of the bridge, the only one of 38 cars without a mark.

9. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I read that when it came out. Made me think back to when I was a kid. We were supposed to all be using flying cars, as in the Jetsons. There was even a TV show, The New Bob Cummings Show, that featured an Aero Car. Where I live we still aren't using flying cars, so I will believe the above article when I see it.

10. crzyfotopeeple

crzyfotopeeple TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Nice diatribe. It's almost a if you are offended at the thought of cars and personal transportation.

Pollution you say, how about all the crap in the street when everyone rode a horse. Yuck!

Also, that horse stood around most of the time consuming food and taking up valuable space.

Dangerous. Yes, operating a motor vehicle is an inherently a dangerous activity. However, the freedom of uninhibited travel is a fundamental exercise that is responsible for a lot of great things about this country. You take some risk to maintain personal freedoms.

I know though, let's just eliminate all the bad, scary things in the world because it doesn't fit someones idea of their utopia. Feeling the need to force my particular viewpoint on everyone.

I guess I could get caught in a shooting war while driving in my evil car. Imagine my odds of survival in that situation.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    In metro areas where traffic, and worse parking is a problem, a driverless electric car that I could summon to pick me up and deliver me to the next stop wouldn't be any different then using a taxi now. If vehicles continue to increase in price then at some point they will price themselves out of business. Ford and others are in a slump right now. The problem I see is that having fleets of driverless cars positioned in the vast rural areas of this country is going to be a logistic nightmare.

12. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    It's not a diatribe. It's just facts most people aren't aware of.