Some days at London

Vivienne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my result of 4 days at London. I'll like to hear your opinion and suggestions. :)

1: This dog stayed on the man's shoulder for like whole day.
Made at Portobello Market.
The_dog_man_by_vivienne_vlug.jpg

2: Two ladies crossing a road near Portobello Market.
Old_ladies_by_vivienne_vlug.jpg

3: This man sells sunglasses.
Sunglasses_by_vivienne_vlug.jpg

4: Colourful London
Colourful_London_by_vivienne_vlug.jpg

5: People of the Saint Silas church from the Society of Mary are worshipping Mary at London, because it's Mary's month (May).
Worshipping_Mary_by_vivienne_vlug.jpg

6: Made at the Fortnum and Mason department store at London.
Stairs_by_vivienne_vlug.jpg

7: Made at Fortnum & Mason
London_luxury_by_vivienne_vlug.jpg

8: Chinatown, London (unforunaly not super sharp :( )
From_the_eyes_of_a_child_by_vivienne_vlug.jpg

9:
We__re_all_colourful_people_by_vivienne_vlug.jpg

10:
Bright_colours_everywhere_by_vivienne_vlug.jpg

11:
English_schoolboys_by_vivienne_vlug.jpg

12: streetartist at convent garden
Silver_sad_witch_by_vivienne_vlug.jpg

13: camden town
Camden_Town_by_vivienne_vlug.jpg

14:
Beautiful_white_swan_by_vivienne_vlug.jpg

Curiosity... are you boosting the contrast on your images significantly?

interesting shots in there, but the PP seems to be too much on some.

The contrast on most images is boosted a little yes..
Is it too much?

7 was fine, but the rest seemed too much. I don't want this to come off as harsh, so please understand I say this only in the interest of helping. In my personal opinion, it was -way- too much.

For some people this is a style choice. If you LIKE this, then cool. Go with it. Anything is legal, as long as it makes you happy. This is an art form.

However, from a technical perspective, these images are so contrasty as to be pretty severely clipped... you've actually lost quite a bit of the data... so if it was not your intent for this "style" you may want to ease up quite a bit.

You may know this already, but... One thing that's good to try is keep an eye on your histogram when altering images. If your curves are going beyond the edges or the top of the histogram square, that's where you are actually losing some of the data of the image itself.

I'd love to see a re-do if you happen to try them again. I hope this helps!

7 was fine, but the rest seemed too much. I don't want this to come off as harsh, so please understand I say this only in the interest of helping. In my personal opinion, it was -way- too much.

For some people this is a style choice. If you LIKE this, then cool. Go with it. Anything is legal, as long as it makes you happy. This is an art form.

However, from a technical perspective, these images are so contrasty as to be pretty severely clipped... you've actually lost quite a bit of the data... so if it was not your intent for this "style" you may want to ease up quite a bit.

You may know this already, but... One thing that's good to try is keep an eye on your histogram when altering images. If your curves are going beyond the edges or the top of the histogram square, that's where you are actually losing some of the data of the image itself.

I'd love to see a re-do if you happen to try them again. I hope this helps!
Ok! Thanks for your comment. I guess you're right about a few of them. I'll try to do it again soon!:)

I've edit nr 1,2,9,10 (less contrast)
and add nr 11,12,13,14

I've edit nr 1,2,9,10 (less contrast)
and add nr 11,12,13,14

1,2,9,10 look better. I think you got 1 dead on. I might boost saturation a touch on it, though. Maybe a quick sharpen tweak. I wouldn't do too much on either of these- just a light touch. BTW, I don't know if I said this before but I think 1 is a cool shot.

2,9 and 10 seem to be oversaturated a bit... unless you were going for that look. 2 particularly on the reds. Is your monitor color corrected? Sorry I didn't notice this before, I think it was lost somewhat in the contrast.

More comments I didn't make before...

1. I love the expressions on the women in 2. Awesome. The woman in the back looks pissed. LOL Might have been cooler to shift the camera to the left since the right side of the image seems empty.

2. 4 was neat. I suspect you boosted the levels again, and maybe a touch too much, but it does make for an interesting effect if that was your intent.

3. 6 is cool, but I think you needed a wider shot to get the railings in completely and the bottom of the stairs. Maybe a composition shot if you don't have the wider angle. The crops were just a little distracting to me. I love spiral stair shots. Very neat.

4. 9 and 10 (same with 11) didn't excite me too much. Looked like a nice shot of a bunch of friends, which is cool, but outside of the context of the person who is friends with these folks might be less interesting.

I really like the series, I especially like number 2.

I was wondering did you talk to some of the people that you took pictures of or did you take pictures first?

1,2,9,10 look better. I think you got 1 dead on. I might boost saturation a touch on it, though. Maybe a quick sharpen tweak. I wouldn't do too much on either of these- just a light touch. BTW, I don't know if I said this before but I think 1 is a cool shot.

2,9 and 10 seem to be oversaturated a bit... unless you were going for that look. 2 particularly on the reds. Is your monitor color corrected? Sorry I didn't notice this before, I think it was lost somewhat in the contrast.

More comments I didn't make before...

1. I love the expressions on the women in 2. Awesome. The woman in the back looks pissed. LOL Might have been cooler to shift the camera to the left since the right side of the image seems empty.

2. 4 was neat. I suspect you boosted the levels again, and maybe a touch too much, but it does make for an interesting effect if that was your intent.

3. 6 is cool, but I think you needed a wider shot to get the railings in completely and the bottom of the stairs. Maybe a composition shot if you don't have the wider angle. The crops were just a little distracting to me. I love spiral stair shots. Very neat.

4. 9 and 10 (same with 11) didn't excite me too much. Looked like a nice shot of a bunch of friends, which is cool, but outside of the context of the person who is friends with these folks might be less interesting.

Thank you so much for your comment!!
It really helps me! :)

Most reactions

Back