some extra dough

Discussion in 'Commercial/Product photography' started by The_Traveler, May 16, 2007.

1. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am content with all the cameras equipment tripod stuff I have and really am considering a foray into portrait and product efforts.

I am considering the Busy Bee package from AlienBee http://www.alienbees.com/busy.html

Comments? warnings?

Lew

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    lol, busy bee package, cute.

Where's the power pack?

3. bluerangeriii

bluerangeriii TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

hahaha.

i dont think it needs one if its gonna be stationary. alien bee plugs straight into the wall. and has the slaves built in so the all fire at the same time.

a company i work for uses alien bee strobes. they are very easy to use. but fine adjusting can be annoying because it avoids numbers and just gives you a lever that goes from min-max to decide the power you want from it. there are a few markings to help guide you on what is half power and what not. i personally think alien bee products dont feel as sturdy as other strobes ive worked with. and their stuff is often bigger and bulkier than others so you need a lot of room for not as much power.

if you do decide to go with it you might want to buy their reciever and transmitter. (which you can only use with alien bee strobes) but it is cheaper than others and works.

4. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can anyone suggest another vendor that I can get similar 'stuff' at comparable prices?

5. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mkay, I use 2400W Speedotrons when i'm in the studio and I need a powerpack to use those.

6. craig

craig TPF Noob!

What exactly is your lighting style or what are you trying to achieve? I would suggest going basic and adding on as your needs grow. Something along the lines of 2 heads, huge soff box, umbrellas and snoot. Leave money in the budget for a background, grip, and reflectors.

B & H has a wide variety of kits that will fit your exact needs. Also if you shoot mostly still life and or interiors you may be happier with a tungsten set up.

Love and Bass

7. eravedesigns

eravedesigns TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a Alienbee B400 and its great. A lot more power than I expected from it and Alienbee has tons of accessories for it! Only bad thing about them is dont get the cheap stand from them because its not to sturdy Im not sure which stand is in that package though. Their customer service is also amazing and if anything ever goes wrong even something you do they will replace it and fix it most of the time free.

8. bbrown2146

bbrown2146 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use Novatron Lights, but recently tried some Opus K250 lights from Norman Camera. These light were surprisingly light and easy to work with. The kit I received to try had 2 heads with umbrellas and stands. I used them in portrait sessions and they worked very well. I am a portrait photographer for the most part.