Some fall pics, thoughts appreciated

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by dormfab, Oct 17, 2008.

1. dormfab

dormfab TPF Noob!

These are just a few of the pictures I took on a few different outings, but I thought they were the best out of the bunch. It would be appreciated if you could leave feedback letting me know what I did right and what needs improvement. Oh yeah, these were taken with a Canon A720. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. I posted this in the "Yellow assignment" thread, oh well

[​IMG]

2. tenlientl

tenlientl TPF Noob!

I like the first one the most. The difference in colours compliment each other imo. I like how the bench is there. It's still missing something though. Someone help me figure it out.

Got it. Someone sitting on the other bench(out of focus one). Black pants, red sweater, lol. With stripes?? No. That's lame.

3. ATXshots

ATXshots TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I like #4 :)

4. HnHStudios

HnHStudios TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think that #4 is my favorite also. I do like the third one, I just think you may have been a couple of minutes too late to catch a little better color in the sky.

http://www.hnhstudios.com

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  5. Funky

Funky TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    2,3 are the two that do it for me, one is a picture of a bench and 4 is the underside of a tree, the other two make me feel something.

6. settons

settons TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really like them all, especially #2

7. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    3 is really nice. Really nice. I might want to crop a bit differently ... take a bit off the right and perhaps the bottom (or move the lens were you to recompose it), but I think the colors and mood in this are great. EDIT: Actually none of the bottom... tbh I think I want the image to just be longer on the left hand side... not cropped, but more added to it.

4 is beautiful. I really love shots looking up into leaves. A lot of people seem to poo-poo these, but I like them a lot.

1 suffers from depth of field a bit. Looks like the tree trunk is in focus and the bench is not. I might have gone for a smaller aperature if possible on this one. Given you were at 1/125" at F4, you probably could have gone like 1/60th at F8 or something. I also might have cropped it a bit to toss the bench lower and to the right a hair... JUST a hair.

2 was conceptually neat but didn't do a ton for me just because the green leaf wasn't all that interesting in and of itself.

8. dormfab

dormfab TPF Noob!

Thanks for the feedback all. I spotted #1 driving by and the bench looked inviting for some reason, so I took the picture trying to show that. When I got back to to take a look at it, I felt the background was too distracting so it was touched up accordingly in PS. #2, I think it was the contrast of the leaf's color that caught my eye, so thats what I tried to show. #3 I was taking a bunch of pictures of the grass trying to find something that worked, and #4 was an attempt to share the whole "holy **** the woods are really yellow" feeling.

9. asc

asc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really like #2. (Life surrounded by death?)

I like #4, but would change the composition slightly. Right now the trunk is just running across the screen as part of the photo, breaking up the yellow canvas. I think I would try tilting the camera to get the tree coming out of a bottom corner, moving up in a diagonal towards the middle of the picture. Use that element of the tree to help your photo DRAW people into it.

Nice work though. We went to the mountains yesterday to try and capture some fall color, however we were a week or two too late. :(

10. Photog

Photog TPF Noob!

#2 would definitely be my favourite, if you hadn't done that dodgy blurring round the outside. I would try a subtle vignette or something.