Some first pics

brucefan34

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all. New here, only second post. Had these in the introduction thread but wanterd to post here for your comments. Just stepped up to first DSLR a Sony A300. These were taken with a point and shoot. Still learning the Sony! Thanks for any comments!

Tony
1. Juneau 10 weeks
ry%3D400

2. Yellow Flower
ry%3D400

3. Juneau Snow Face
ry%3D400

4. Bouy Juneau Alaska
ry%3D400

5. Lake @ Mendenhall Glacier
ry%3D400

6. Purple Flower
ry%3D400

7. Pelican Venice Florida
ry%3D400

8. Pelican Sun
ry%3D400

9. Juneau and Mia
ry%3D400

10. Dandi-Juneau
ry%3D400

11. Those Eyes
ry%3D400

Last edited:
Welcome to ThePhotoForum.
Nice photos you bring us here. Thanks for sharing.
Numbering them makes commenting on individual photos a lot easier for the members, and it is particularly important to do so when there are so many.

What strikes me as obvious is that your composition is still very centred, in almost all your photos, your subject is right in the centre or at least very, very close to the centre of the photo. And another thing that is also very obvious is that upon composting your photos you never seemed to have considered turning the camera by 90° to get a vertically framed photo. It would have been vital for the one of the pelican! Here, the poor bird looks squished into the frame and the beak hacked off, which is a pity!

Putting the horizon into the middle like you did in the fourth and fifth pic (I think, given I remember right) does only work when you play with reflections and symmetry, like you did in 5. But I don't think it works in 4. You better decide what you want to express: the expanse of a beautiful countryside? The largeness of a stretch of water and its texture? So put about 2/3 of country/water into your frame. The vastness of a beautiful sky? Give the sky about 2/3 of room in your photo. Only when you try to create something like a "play card photo", with an exact mirror image given by a very still lake can you work with equal halves. (This is my opinion).

Then another thought on composition: do watch your backgrounds. While the first flower pic (although too centred for my liking, but as I said: this is the case in every photo here) is very nice with the dark background, the other flower pic has too much going on, slanted angle on wall of house and more, which is distracting.

The action photo of the dogs playing in the water is nice, as is the one of the pelicans flying!

A few thoughts on you pictures (didn't want to C&C each individual image...too many)...

Most of the images has the subject centered in the frame. You'll want to read more about good photo composition and then practice taking pictures where your subject is off center.

I like that you did fill the frame with the subject on some of the pictures.

Try shooting the subject with the camera in the portrait orientation after you shoot it with the camera in the landscape orientation. Sometimes the picture will look better in the portrait orientation.

Keep your horizons level or level them out in PP.

Watch your backgrounds.

#8 & #9 are my favorites.

Thanks to both of you for the input. I will keep them in mind when I shoot some more.

I love the black and white photo of the dogs!!! Very cool!!!

Most reactions

Back