Some Flowers and a Sunset

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by EscapeTurn, Oct 25, 2005.

1. EscapeTurn

EscapeTurn TPF Noob!

I wanted to share a few photos I've taken. I'd appreciate any comments! :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking! :p

2. seven

seven TPF Noob!

I really like the sunset one.

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is a great sunset you had there!

Your flower photos are all still a bit centred, but the longer you are here on TPF, the more you will learn how to avoid centering what you have in the focus too much. It was on here that I learned it, too :). Thanks TPF :D.

The first has a couple of overexposed flowers to the right.
    You could try to creatively crop that picture to get rid of those and thus shifting your focus to the right. If you feel you need to keep up the custom size of a photo, you can always crop from the top and bottom, too. Do you see what I mean?

If the background behind the sunflower were all the same, I'd say that it could do with a centred motif. But we see the edge of the lawn and the bushes and some other, smaller flowers to the right... How about testing out what a tight square crop could do?

4. EscapeTurn

EscapeTurn TPF Noob!

Thanks for the feedback!

So is centering bad, then? Could you explain further on that, or is it just one of those things I have to learn on my own?

So, something like this?

[​IMG]

I tried the square crop. Is this what you mean?

[​IMG]

I also tried cropping and uncentering it, but I'm not sure if this is what you mean or not.

[​IMG]

I'm sure you guys get noob photographers asking for advice all the time, but I really do appreciate it. Your photos are wonderful and I've already learned a ton from the site. There's a wealth of information available here!

I'm also planning on getting a Nikon D50 around Christmas. Getting a little anxious over here. :)

5. Peanuts

Peanuts TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wonderful photos.

Out of the sunflower photos, I think the square crop works best, even though everything is 'centralized', it works. At least for me. If the background was completely black in the third crop, I may have prefered that one, but I like what you did either way

6. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Centering isn't always bad. It's called the *Rule of Thirds* Here is a basic tutorial/explanation. This site also has lots of good easy to understand info for beginners.
    http://www.digicamhelp.com/what-is-the-rule-of-thirds/rule-of-thirds.htm

And I agree with Peanuts, if the last one had a solid bg, that would be my pick. But in their current state, the square crop works best. If you have PS, or another type of editor, you can easily fill the entire bg in a single, solid color.

For the blue flowers with the bee, I would take even more off of the right hand side. The blown out flowers that exit the right hand side are very distracting. I didn't even notice the bee at first ;) But that one is tuff. Might just require a reshoot.