Some flowers...Dont bother looking if you dont want to give C&C <3

AmericanJesus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Few from the garden!
I need feedback :( not been putting out anything good lately, need some positive feedback, worked hard on these.

California_Poppy_by_AmericanJesuss.jpg

Flour_by_AmericanJesuss.jpg

Pol_E_nAtor_by_AmericanJesuss.jpg

3rd pic made me sneeze.

Last edited:
Your positive feedback is that the composition is just fine - however on the other hand (!), the images lack contrast and are a bit dark. Lastly, IMHO, one is likely to get more feedback from a single picture than a group.
All the best

Your positive feedback is that the composition is just fine - however on the other hand (!), the images lack contrast and are a bit dark. Lastly, IMHO, one is likely to get more feedback from a single picture than a group.
All the best

Why thank you =). And i like dark, i do that in post processing, i think it provides a Beauty meets darkness kinda feel. The lack of contrast i do need to work on. The poppies are pretty much the same color and was tough to get contrast between the carious parts.

C&C per req:

1. Composition isn't too bad on this one, but you have a large unfocused area image left. I would suggest moving the camera a little further right, and increasing the DoF somewhat so that the petals and stamen were all in focus; as it sits, the "bottom" of the bloom is very soft.

2. Again, this one would have been better looking more into the centre of the flower. The background, while soft, is still focused enough to be very distracting. In macro work, the rule of thirds often doesn't apply.

3. Very well done.

As noted by Ancient Sapper, your images are definitely under-exposed. I would guess by at least two stops. Exposure for this sort of work is tricky, always review your images as you shoot them, and go back and reshoot if there are issues. I think the contrast will be fine if the exposure is adjusted.

I would also suggest that more pleasant phrasing of your subject line wouldn't hurt either.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

I also say they're underexposed.

The quality of light in number 2 has promise, but they are all a tad on the dark side. Are you working on a calibrated monitor? I have to ask, was a dead bee placed in photo 3? If you want to use a flash, I would try off camera so that you avoid the harsh shadow.

All the best

Why thank you =). And i like dark, i do that in post processing, i think it provides a Beauty meets darkness kinda feel. The lack of contrast i do need to work on. The poppies are pretty much the same color and was tough to get contrast between the carious parts.

So you ruined them on purpose? You did not make them interesting but sucked any life out of them

All the best

So you ruined them on purpose? You did not make them interesting but sucked any life out of them

+1

A dark exposure (these aren't technically underexposed; just exposed to the left) will work for certain subjects, but cheerful looking flowers; not so much. If these were flowers ruined/decaying/etc then it would be more appropriate and might work.
Composition wise; the second is my favourite but I feel the flower could have been a little more to the left. For that composition though; I'd clone out the small touch of orange in the bottom right-hand corner.

Underexposed and I feel they are too warm.

Pretty nice. They could do with being a bit brighter IMO. Lift the midpoint in Levels.

ATTENTION ALL!!

Look in the top left of the first post - just above the persons avatar picture and name and you'll see:
07-12-2008 -- that is the date the thread was made to the forum ;)

Click on the users name and in their profile it shows
04-20-2009 06:44 PM
As their last login time - thus not only have you an old thread (oddly bumped up) but also a member who is most likely, not currently around to read any comments/crits/advice you might have

Do check the post and comment dates :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back