Some impromptu night shooting C&C

timfrommass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I didn't have any thoughts of doing some serious photography, but I found myself in Boston on the roof of a parking structure the other day and had my camera with me. I know some of these are a bit noisy but I had no tripod and had to up the ISO. However, this was my first opportunity ever to look at a city scape or do some shooting in the city, so as a newb I always want to try so I can be more prepared for what I'll need and what the conditions are like when I want to go back in just for the purpose of shooting. Could I get some C&C on composition at least? Thanks!

4242736892_19b13d5d04_b.jpg

4242745862_4496ac87c2_b.jpg

4242746630_99435319e7_b.jpg

-tim

No advice or feedback on the angles chosen, or the position of certain buildings in the shot on the first one? Each one has been cropped a bit, do you think there seems like anything is missing?

I like #1 a lot. It has enough going on to keep my attention but it's not too busy.

I think it's a bit unlevel, but that should be easily corrected.

Horizon is low on the right side of the first one.

Is the horizon low or is it that there are no buildings on that side, and there is on the right?

OK I'm still getting used to leveling things in post processing and how to guage it. I was messing around with it in photoshop and trying to level the bridge, then comparing that to what happened to the tilt of the buildings. I don't believe that there is a "level" point for the bridge. This is Boston and most stuff is old and crooked haha, but I can't seem to level out that bridge or even find a stretch of flat spot that makes the buildings still look upright. Maybe I'm just not doing it right though

-tim

There are some perspective correction tools that could be applied as well.
In pic #1 I think a simple leveling would have made it really good.

I think the first one looks pretty awesome. Im not sure that can be "level". The bridge seems to tilt both ways to me.

I think the first one looks pretty awesome. Im not sure that can be "level". The bridge seems to tilt both ways to me.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Nearly everything in Boston is not level...I took a picture of my friend walking down the side walk and tried like heck to level it out after until I finally realized the sidewalk was on a tilt, lol

-tim

OK I'm still getting used to leveling things in post processing and how to guage it. I was messing around with it in photoshop and trying to level the bridge, then comparing that to what happened to the tilt of the buildings. I don't believe that there is a "level" point for the bridge. This is Boston and most stuff is old and crooked haha, but I can't seem to level out that bridge or even find a stretch of flat spot that makes the buildings still look upright. Maybe I'm just not doing it right though

-tim
Use a vertical instead of a horizonal.

Do you know how to pull a guide off the rulers at the edge of the workspace?

Better yet, get the Ruler tool, it's under the Eyedropper tool. You can use it to measure the exact angle the image is off from vertical (or horizontal).

With the Ruler tool active, click at one point on the line you want perfectly vertical (or horizontal), hold down the mouse button and drag to another point on that same line. You don't have to trace the line, just be sure you're on the line when you release the mouse button.

When you activated the Ruler tool a window opened on the screen with X, Y, W,H, A, L1 and L2 values.
The number after A: is the angle of that line. Make a note of the angle.

Now across the top of the workspace: Click Image>Rotate Canvas>Arbitrary. The Rotate Canvas dialog box should already have the angle you need in it. Verify it's the right angle and click OK.

You should now have an image with no tilt.

-tim
Use a vertical instead of a horizonal.

Do you know how to pull a guide off the rulers at the edge of the workspace?

Better yet, get the Ruler tool, it's under the Eyedropper tool. You can use it to measure the exact angle the image is off from vertical (or horizontal).

With the Ruler tool active, click at one point on the line you want perfectly vertical (or horizontal), hold down the mouse button and drag to another point on that same line. You don't have to trace the line, just be sure you're on the line when you release the mouse button.

When you activated the Ruler tool a window opened on the screen with X, Y, W,H, A, L1 and L2 values.
The number after A: is the angle of that line. Make a note of the angle.

Now across the top of the workspace: Click Image>Rotate Canvas>Arbitrary. The Rotate Canvas dialog box should already have the angle you need in it. Verify it's the right angle and click OK.

You should now have an image with no tilt.

Thanks!!

-tim

Hey, Boston!

#1 is an interesting perspective on the skyline. I've never really seen a shot of the Prudential Center from this angle. Of course, it's hard to judge because you didn't have a tripod. You definitely need to invest in one if you're going to do these shots.

The Boston Skyline can be fun to shoot. Hopefully you pick a tripod and keep posting your photos for us to see.

Hey, Boston!

#1 is an interesting perspective on the skyline. I've never really seen a shot of the Prudential Center from this angle. Of course, it's hard to judge because you didn't have a tripod. You definitely need to invest in one if you're going to do these shots.

The Boston Skyline can be fun to shoot. Hopefully you pick a tripod and keep posting your photos for us to see.

I have a tripod, but my trip to the city was not for photography. I went to the Museum of Science with a buddy and we ended up having to park on the roof. It was night when we came out and I couldn't pass up trying a shot. I figure it's always good to try something even if u don't have all the ideal equipment that way you get a feel for it at least before you do it for real

-tim

Most reactions

New Topics

Back