Some lens advice for my Nikon D200 please..

D Ryan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lens advice for my Nikon D200
Hi - I am just starting out as a child portrait photographer and have alot to learn - and some gear to aquire. I would really love some advice about which lens to purchase.

I will be shooting in studio and on location at the local park. Style wise, I only really like a selective focus - a shallower depth of field and therefore try and shoot wide open as much as possible - the only problem being - I mostly shoot fast moving and erratic subjects (toddlers). Therefore I usually have heaps of reject images based on fuzziness.

I bought the 50mm 1.4 and have had much more success with focus as it is faster than my old glass, but I need something with a longer focal length. I know the 85mm 1.8 is great but my 2 concerns are: feel like I need variable focal length for the park, and maybe 85mm isn't different enough from the 50mm in focal length.

My other two lenses are: AF 24-85mm 2.8-4 (seems very slow to focus on a moving subject - rubbish compared to my 50mm). THE OTHER IS 4-5.6mm AF 70-210. Very old and seems slow but just found it and haven't really used it alot.

I am only interested in Nikon lenses. Money isn't an issue - I just want the right lens. Love the 70-200 2.8 but a bit concerned about weight.

What do you all think I should get?

Long posting I know.

Thanks

Donna
Attached Images
attachment.php

70-200 2.8 VR and a mono pod.

That, is a recipe for success

VR won't help with fast moving subjects so if your budget doesn't allow for that one (it's expensive!) consider the 80-200 2.8.

Am I right though in assuming that the 70-200 would focus alot faster than the 80-200 D?

The main problem I have with my old two are how slow they focus so this is where I would love to see a major improvement.

Thanks for helping me out here, guys.

Not so much on a D200. The D200 an D2x have very powerful motors in them. I have had no problem tracking birds flying towards me or sports players running towards me with the 80-200 f/2.8

On a D80 or other camera the differences become huge. On the D200 however it does suffer from some torque action where you can feel the motor applying a twist to the lens.

If focusing speed is your concern then I really suggest you grab your camera and go to the nearest shop and try both lenses. I can not say how fast is fast enough but I can guarantee your focus won't be outrun by a toddler.

Even with slower poorly geared lenses the D200 should still keep up. Check the custom autofocus setting "Lock On". If you shoot with continuous autofocus and Lock On is enabled then as soon as it gets focus the camera pauses for a second, great for lower shutter speeds but horrible if something is coming towards you. I leave this setting off and the camera doesn't pause when focusing.

Admittedly if you have the money you should consider the 70-200 but I was just mentioning the 80-200 as an optically equivalent but much cheaper alternative.

Go with the 70-200VR if money is no issue, if it is, than 80-200, a D200 shouldn't have problems with AF speed.

I have the 70-200mm and really like it but find the 24-70mm f/2.8 is getting more of a work out lately. However, for portrait work I think primes are great. Apologies to those that have seen this comparison before, but I believe the 35mm, 50mm & 85mm primes are fastastic.

--------------35mm---------------------------------50mm-------------------------------------85mm------------
DSC_8583_edited-1.jpg
DSC_8594_edited-1.jpg
DSC_8603_edited-1.jpg

These were all taken at the same distance-to-subject and all at the same aperture. (memory has it as 42" & f/4).

The 105mm f/2.8 is next on my list.

Most reactions

Back