Some new gear advice?

Becky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I fancy some new bits and pieces, just because...!

1) If you were currently using a 350D... whats the major benefits of upgrading to the likes of the 20D? Is there a huge difference or whats all the fuss about?
.... any advice on where to go? I prefer to stick with Canon...

2) As a general rule of thumb whats the most highly regarded Canon macro lens? I've been reading all over the place but all I seem to find is "this ones better for this,that ones better for that"... I just want a lens that will be really reaaly good for closeup detail eg. flowers & insect, god... I dunno which one, the likes of the 180mm seems ridiculously priced?!

3) I'm considering a Speedlite... I've read so much great stuff about them... does anyone use them and are there massive performance differences between the models? I don't necessarily want to just go for the cheapest, or on the other hand the best.... any advice?

MP-E 65 is a hell of a macro lens does upto 5x magnification, its on my wish list...

The major differences between the 350D and the 20D are, buffer size, and build quality. The buffer on the 20D is going to allow you to shoot faster, and more frames before the camera locks up. The body is also more rugged. Also, the 20D has the wheel on the back, instead of the 4 directional buttons, which I prefer. I know that's minor.

From what I hear, the 180mm macro is Canon's flagship macro lens. There is the Mp 65 as abstract added, but that's really a specialty lens, that one would get if they were really into macro. The 180mm macro will give you 1:1, give you a good working distance, which is what you need if you are photographing insects, and it also can be used as a long portrait lens, or wildlife lens. I hear the bokeh is second to none. The 100mm macro would be the next choice. If you want a 50mm macro, just buy some extension tubes and use a 50mm 1.8.

As for speedlights, what do you plan to do with one? Just for general indoor shots? Just using E-TTL and letting the camera take care of it? Any of the flashes will do that. The more expensive ones give you the ability to be used as slaves, off camera, to be used manually, and triggered remotely. You have to decide what you intend to use it for, and what you need. The more expensive flashes also pack more power, which gives them more reach.

Yeh from what I've read and seen of sample pictures, the 180mm macro looks fantastic, probably a good choice!

With regard to the Speedlite... it is just for general indoor usage, but would like the option of controlling manually and remotely, I'll have to check out the full specs of various models.

Is it worth my while to upgrade to the 20D body as opposed to my 350D? To be honest it just feels a bit lightweight sometimes. When I use my 100mm-400mm lens it just doesn't feel quite right somehow! The build quality and slightly bigger size of the 20D might solve that a bit. And being able to shoot faster will be great for aviation work at air shows....

Digital Matt said:
The major differences between the 350D and the 20D are, buffer size, and build quality. The buffer on the 20D is going to allow you to shoot faster, and more frames before the camera locks up. The body is also more rugged. Also, the 20D has the wheel on the back, instead of the 4 directional buttons, which I prefer. I know that's minor.
Just to add that you get more AF points, 9 i think and higher ISO setting at 3200, max shutter speed at 1/8000. Do you have a battery grip on your XT? I also have an XT and recently got the 100-400mm, i think with the grip it is more balanced out, i can't imagine having this lens on without it.

Personally i like the 20d and would have gotten it if i had the money at the time, but personally i don't think it's worth the upgrade, until there is a successor and the 5d is just way too much for me right now. If there is a successor of the 20d coming out, i would wait for that instead.

I did choose the 20D because of the feel, wheel, body size & build etc. I love the wheel & other buttons because it's very easy to change setting quickly...although I'm sure people get used to the XT and can do it very fast as well. The XT is just too small for my big hands, although I've never held one with the grip.

As for upgrading from the XT to the 2D...I don't know if the price would justify that.

The PMA (big camera show) is in February and that's when a lot of manufacturers announce new models...so if there is going to be an upgrade to the 20D...that's when it might be. Although with the 5D out there...there may not be a new 20D at all.

Big Mike said:
I did choose the 20D because of the feel, wheel, body size & build etc. I love the wheel & other buttons because it's very easy to change setting quickly...although I'm sure people get used to the XT and can do it very fast as well. The XT is just too small for my big hands, although I've never held one with the grip.

As for upgrading from the XT to the 2D...I don't know if the price would justify that.

The PMA (big camera show) is in February and that's when a lot of manufacturers announce new models...so if there is going to be an upgrade to the 20D...that's when it might be. Although with the 5D out there...there may not be a new 20D at all.

i agree, hard to justify an upgrade since the 5d is still fairly new. We wouldn't see a 20d upgrade at 12mp, because of the 5d.....maybe 10mp. Most likely will be 1.6 as well, because of the 5d FF.

who knows.....There is a 20Da geared towards astrophotography :)

No I don't have the battery grip for my 350D... I looked into recently but didn't bother since I'm considering the upgrade.

I hadnt thought of that actually, I'd hate to get the 20D and have a newer version come out right after... I might get the other bits and pieces and hold off with body!

Thanks guys!

Becky said:
No I don't have the battery grip for my 350D... I looked into recently but didn't bother since I'm considering the upgrade.

I hadnt thought of that actually, I'd hate to get the 20D and have a newer version come out right after... I might get the other bits and pieces and hold off with body!

Thanks guys!

I would suggest to go into your local camera store and ask to try out the grip, pop on your lens on there and see how it feels, could be a temporary solution for you.

Another option is to get a used 20D fairly new...with the 5d out mant 20D users are selling there bodies. Just a thought.

I'd love to go straight to the 5D... I'd have to do some sums and see if its possible, otherwise the battery grip could be a smart temporary solution like you say!

How much would a 350D body be likely to sell for on eBay? About 6 months old, perfect condition really etc

On ebay i've seen some starting bids from $650-850, on other photgraphy forums i've seen them sell for roughly the same price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back