Some New Sigma Goodies!

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by icassell, Feb 22, 2010.

1. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
  2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  4. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oooops ... yeah, I missed Derral's post. Oh well.

Anyway, I still am interested in the OS Bigma. I suggested to my wife when she asked me what I wanted for my birthday that I wanted the Canon 500mm f/4. She asked me how much it was and, when I told her ($6140 on Amazon), you could have heard the laughter all the way at the Canon factory.

5. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    Why not push for the 300mm f2.8?
    that plus your teleconverters is a powerfull combo (just ask GSgarry or the Otterking). Infact I recall that LP got the 500mm f4 and sent it back because it was so heavy - long range yes, but weight was a lot more. The 300mm f2.8 IS L plus a 2* teleconverter is a lighter, handholdable and cheaper setup - not as sharp as a 500mm or 600mm prime, but still very very sharp.

However I can certainly agree the 50-500mm OS would be a great walkaround lens and if it can be as good (if not better) than the current version then that ranks it about as good as the canon 100-400mm L (according to Juza's comparison review)

6. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Even the 300 is more than I can afford at the moment, although I'm still thinking about it. I use my Sigma 100-300mm f/4 with a TC with good results, but it doesn't have OS and that hurts at the longer focal lengths.

7. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    I know the feeling about costs :( the 300mm jumped a whole £1000 in retail price in the UK which pretty much canceled my saving - so I shifted to macro gear as it is at least cheaper to save up in smaller stages.
    Nice thing about an option like the bigma is that its a good cover lens whilst one saves for something better and yet it still has a purpose (an easy walkaround zoom) after the main purchase

8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I think this is Sigma's biggest homerun season ever! Seriously...they're going to be offering TWO of the most sought-after enthusiast lenses....a 70-200 stabilized zoom with extra-low dispersion glass that "might" be able to eliminate almost all chromatic aberration, PLUS a high-speed 85mm f/1.4 prime lens, AND THEN, as if those two were not enough, a brand new 8-16mm ultra-wide zoom lens for APS-C bodies. Plus, adding OS to the 50-500,and also doing a few other tricks...they're aiming right at three major,major gaps where the camera makers' products are vulnerable.

Nobody makes an 8-16mm...the new generation Canon and Nikon 70-200's cost $2400 or so, and the Canon,Nikon,and Sony (Zeiss) 85mm high-speed lenses are way above the price ranges of most amateurs.

Adding two elements of their new "fluorite-like dispersion" FLD glass to their 17-50 f/2.8...Sigma's got the range dialed in...

9. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah :( The 300 f/2.8 is currently $4340 at Amazon. I was thinking of the 400mm f/ 5.6 until I read this new Bigma release ... I do wish Canon would put IS on the 400mm

10. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just hope it's a homerun season and not a string of foul balls. We won't know until we actually see these in real life. I will especially be interested in comparison testing between the OS Bigma, the old Bigma, and the 150-500 by someone who knows something about bird photography.

11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Well, if things go south, they can claim they were injected with steroids by a team trainer--without their consent.;)