Some night shots

mitake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Some experimantal shots at night... Please let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking!

dsc_0013.jpg

dsc_0106.jpg

OK, having taken into account your silent criticism, I removed last three pics and will try to *bump* this...

sorry, i don't find these that great in subject matter, not that they are bad. if they are as you said experimental, then they are fine for learning more about night photography.

I like the first one ... I take it these were your first forays into nighttime photography and you had to make use of what little light there is for you?
In that case you did well: small aperture (giving you nice "stars" from the street lights), long enough exposure, clear, totally unblurred picture ... I like it! Nothing much going on in a residential area of a little town, is there? And yet ... you captured what is there.

The second is a nice concept, too. How did you stabilize your camera for that one?

LaFoto said:
The second is a nice concept, too. How did you stabilize your camera for that one?
I used tripod as monopod.

LaFoto, thanks...

Generally speaking in my opinion night photography has to be really special to catch people's eye. I guess because photography is all about light. At night it is even more about how you use the light and dark.

So a shot of an intersection at night is just not really interesting unless there is an overturned bus, a couple of street people standing around a barrel on fire, or some really cool lighting features.

Buildings at night should tell a story. You know like a boy and girl holding hand leaving your video store. Good photography, I think, has emotion in other words not just prety pictures.

Now im sorry this goes a little past what you wanted to hear im sure, and its only my opinion.

mysteryscribe, I agree with you completely, and that was what I needed to hear. By now I do feel completely embarrassed with these pictures, won't post outcome of my technical experiments anymore :)

mitake said:
mysteryscribe, I agree with you completely, and that was what I needed to hear. By now I do feel completely embarrassed with these pictures, won't post outcome of my technical experiments anymore :)

Not at all... Post everything just each time you do make adjustments next time..

Post some shots that you do a little differently next time. shoot a slow moving car in your intersection or people blured as they walk by. Whatever you like.

Keep shooting and keep looking for answers its how you learn not just about shutter speed and aperture but about all of it.

I still think that even this night scene of the quiet residential area is a nice photo for it DOES play with light, though there is not given too much of it, but you used what little there is nicely, including some as reflection in the puddle on the street and including a light trail of a passing car! A pity that the near streetlight was broken. That might have put another nice accent to that part of the frame.

But do continue posting your technical experiments!
Some might quite enjoy them! (Like myself.).

Most reactions

Back