Some of my better ones (first post)

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by D-B-J, Apr 13, 2010.

1. D-B-J

D-B-J Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Some of my better ones. critiques are welcome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  2. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    First of all: I find your "watermark" severely distracting, diminishes the fun of viewing your photos considerably...

Further: well done on the aquarium shot, it is NOT easy to get the fish into focus like this through the thick glass, as often the light situation isn't the most favourable. If this was your home aquarium: did you set up your tripod for this photo?

Night photography with smoke that turned into "cotton wool" because of the long exposure, and an aperture chosen that was small enough to turn the one brighter light source into a star (unlike a large bright blob, which happens when your aperture is wide open, I guess you know that already). However, I feel there is far too much empty space here and the factory as such did not offer you enough lights to really "jump out at the viewer".

I simply do not understand that last one here.

3. Newnan3

Newnan3 TPF Noob!

+2

4. Houghwya

Houghwya TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like all 3 photos. My only complaint is in #1. It would had been nice to get the fish totally in frame but I can understand because I imagine it was hard getting that photo in the first place. Keep it up!

5. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    1- great job on this shot, as mentionned above. Aquariums are annoying to shoot through. And I also agree that the watermark is horrible.

2- Not liking the subject and composition of this shot. Alot of darkness and empty space and the subject isn't well suited to be in the middle of the frame. I figure you wanted alot of smoke in the shot? Then maybe just shooting higher up and closer in to just get the chimney and the smoke. Or zoom in again and move the chimney to the left of the frame and have the building more in the middle. The part of light/smoke on the bottom left isn't adding much to the image either.

3- I dont get this one or what you were going for. Is that a glass shard in the middle? Composition again isn't interesting and it makes the image just bla and confusing. I'm at a loss of tips to shoot differently.

6. D-B-J

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks all! I have some other fish shots that i can post later. It is my own aquarium, and aquatic-photography.com has helped me out greatly with my fishy shots.

The third one was used for my "transparent" potw in my photo class. It is a piece of glass placed upright, with a piece of wood directly behind it. The way the glass affected the sliver of wood was unplanned, but i just liked it.

Sorry about the watermark. Ill fix it on my next photopost (when my laptop is back in action).

7. ImgPro

ImgPro TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As has been mentioned before in the fish shot if the whole fish had been in the frame it would have been much improved. Consider where the fish's eye would have been. You said you were taking a photography class, I'm sure they have covered the rule of thirds. Regardless of the flaws the shot is well focused and exposed. Keep shooting and posting. As many have mentioned, get rid of the watermark. Best of luck.

Craig

8. D-B-J

Photos OK to edit
    thanks craig! If i remember correctly, i have a full-fish shot on my laptop, so ill upload that as soon as i can.