Some of my Emergency Scene Photographs from 2011. Enjoy and NO C&C!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll post some links to fire fighting photos. Use google, type in firefighter photography. Go to flickr and search firefighter photography.

These are just from the first page of the google image search. All the tips everyone have been giving you are trying to push you towards exposing images more like these.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZLDtHCX6rtNMeZqkh48RB-DQG9ez_iD69z4Ge9DuaelF3OrUrzsfxmDWaYou have to look at others photos in the same field you are interested in order to learn more about them, and how they were created.

Those are some nice images... good find, Jake!

Thank you MissCream. I am the dept. OFFICIAL photographer. This is a volunteer position in the dept due to budgets. I do have a paying job besides doing this. I have relatives that have either been in the fire service or still are as firefighters and paramedics. I didn't want to that far in so I do the photography. It does get intense on some calls but I like that as it can make it challenging and rewarding at the same time. Ex. fire at local public high school eerlier last year (the same school most of my family including myself graduated from) had a major fire. Started inside the building in the woodshop, spread through the wood dust ventilation system, and into the sawdust collection cloth bags in the machine outside. Someone dropped the hose and it went all over due to being under pressure so everyone that was not a ff. had to run so no one would get hurt. Luckily, I was right by the back of one engine so I just ran behind it. That was one of my most challenging calls so far. Some of my photos are shown at the dept during the open house held each fall showing some of the depts work and also shown at their fair building (nicknamed Station 3) during the fair so show their work and also as a public safety message for fire safety. I have even had people come up to me last summer at the fair and thank me for doing this as they have actually learned something from it. That makes it rewarding knowing that it actually helped someone and maybe can help save a life or two down the road.

Thank you MissCream. I am the dept. OFFICIAL photographer. This is a volunteer position in the dept due to budgets. I do have a paying job besides doing this. I have relatives that have either been in the fire service or still are as firefighters and paramedics. I didn't want to that far in so I do the photography. It does get intense on some calls but I like that as it can make it challenging and rewarding at the same time. Ex. fire at local public high school eerlier last year (the same school most of my family including myself graduated from) had a major fire. Started inside the building in the woodshop, spread through the wood dust ventilation system, and into the sawdust collection cloth bags in the machine outside. Someone dropped the hose and it went all over due to being under pressure so everyone that was not a ff. had to run so no one would get hurt. Luckily, I was right by the back of one engine so I just ran behind it. That was one of my most challenging calls so far. Some of my photos are shown at the dept during the open house held each fall showing some of the depts work and also shown at their fair building (nicknamed Station 3) during the fair so show their work and also as a public safety message for fire safety. I have even had people come up to me last summer at the fair and thank me for doing this as they have actually learned something from it. That makes it rewarding knowing that it actually helped someone and maybe can help save a life or two down the road.

Yeah I could see how that would help! I wouldn't be able to do your job, especially if someone or an animal were injured or worse (which I am assuming happens all the time). Fire fighters are crazy brave and a lot of them don't even get paid!

Had a fire last month where an amimal did perish and also a fire last month where someone was injured (non firefighter). No one call is the same and that helps keep it challenging though a lot of the calls at one particular location are about 85% false alarms so those are just boring and routine. Show up, stand around in case of action being bored, if no action after 6 min. leave. I have been their photographer since Aug. 14, 2009 and am loving it. Over the time I have even been asked to be more involved with some of the functions like the open house, downtown business trick or treat (which they hold a costume contest for the kids besides handing out candy) where I not only do photos with that but this year helped judge the contest as well as help figure out the catagories and even help judge the event. I also get to do what is called a ride-along where I can ride on the engine or ambulance for amounts of time and respond and help or photograph depending on the type of call.

Photoguy, I know you posted this to get your work out, but its too soon. I would wait a few weeks until everything dies down before making ANY POSTS. Take that time to improve on your photography. Read books, articles on the internet, your camera manuel, and just overall take this time away from the forum to learn about photography. Then when you get back I would make a CC post in the beginners section of photos you have taken that you feel are improvements from your previous photos. In that thread apologize for previous behaviors and make it clear you will now be open and courteous about CC. You will not be hostile or accusing to people, instead like all other ameratuers you will take the CC and improve. You may not be happy with everything you hear (I definelty am not) but you will respond politely and really try to improve. If the first time I posted CC everyone told me my photos were amazing (what I wanted to hear) then I would have never improved and I would have continued to take pictures like I did (actually still am, but I am slowly getting better).

Good luck, and I really highly suggest this. If you keep making posts like you are now without taking a break and coming back politely, you, nor TPF members will benefit. You will continue to receive comments like you are now. Good luck!

Thanks jake337, I will look at them when I get a chance.

You really should. Don't just look at them though. Try to deconstruct them. Try to undestand how they were created. Note the feeling the envoke in you.

I also couldn't do what you or any EMT photographer does. I would want to get in there and help.

I also couldn't do what you or any EMT photographer does. I would want to get in there and help.

hahaha.. yea.. same here! I rode ambulances for years, did S&R, and worked ER a lot. We didn't mind photographers too much, as long as they knew what they were doing, and stayed out of the way. It was the Media jerks that were a real PITA... always in the way!

I'm not posting C&C just repeating what kerbouchard told me on my first post on TPF. "Your pictures shouldn't have to have an explanation."
Taking the time to follow all your threads and comment back and forth with everyone about how mean they're being to you is ample time to take a look at the firefighting links that were offered up to you. They took the time to go thru and find pictures for you to see to really LOOK AT. Being a photographer isn't just having a camera, pointing in a general direction, and pressing the shutter button. It's looking at photographs and seeing everything! Not just the adorable baby but seeing the foot cut off. Noticing the little things will show you that you're progressing and evolving into a real photographer. Take your time, listen, learn.

Get this from a PM I just picked up:

Please refrain from posting in my threads. I do not want a circus again and your posts are trying to start one again.

Somebody call the doctor....:neutral:

GeorgieGirl said:

Please refrain from posting in my threads. I do not want a circus again and your posts are trying to start one again.

You better listen or he'll close this thread too! ;)

GeorgieGirl said:

You better listen or he'll close this thread too! ;)

..ummmmm....I am closing this thread....???

OK

if not....

Let the Mod(s) close this one and all of them then...its/they are Crap. Close all of them, I say!

The PM's though, they are absolute insanity....

I need to close them...
....and I can.:king:

I really want to meet this "photo guy" and find out who he is. I'll imagine him as a Dwight Schrute from "the Office" but not as funny until that day comes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back