Some of my first photos!

how is that not very nice....

Because it's the kind of thing that you say when you think something is crappy and can't think of a single nice thing to say about it. It's condescending.

If you don't like the pictures, that's fine, but if you're going to bother posting, perhaps it would be more useful - and nicer - to explain why you don't like it so the OP can get some useful information out of it.

Thanks for saving me the trouble. He knows damn good and well why. Remarks like that bring down the quality of the forum.

you people making a big deal about crap is what brings everything down... douche

Because it's the kind of thing that you say when you think something is crappy and can't think of a single nice thing to say about it. It's condescending.

If you don't like the pictures, that's fine, but if you're going to bother posting, perhaps it would be more useful - and nicer - to explain why you don't like it so the OP can get some useful information out of it.

Thanks for saving me the trouble. He knows damn good and well why. Remarks like that bring down the quality of the forum.

you people making a big deal about crap is what brings everything down... douche

I have to agree with shaylou and limr: you may not have meant for your comment to sound condescending, but it did. The OP and two other members--three including me--have now pointed this out. We can't all be nuts. :) If it was meant to somehow be helpful, maybe you could clarify what you were trying to say for us. If it wasn't, then--once again--why bother posting it? Your posting of your zoo photo to help the OP calibrate his screen-- that's the kind of thing that is helpful. (I like that shot very much, by the way.)

Vulgar language and name-calling definitely bring down the quality of the forum.

All though this is fun!:er:

If you want to put your monkey were your mouth is, I will PM you the raw file, and you can edit it!:D

to be honest, no mater what you do to this image in post its going to be noisy and washed out.. you can really only adjust a couple of stops exposure, the image is way to dark and should be just left as you have it.. the trick is to get it 99% perfect in the camera and just use post to do fine tuning.. the image I posted has only had the shadows put up 1 stop just to give better texture on the dark hair because the small shot of sunlight coming through kinda threw off the meter.
All though this is fun!:er:

If you want to put your monkey were your mouth is, I will PM you the raw file, and you can edit it!:D

I have to agree with shaylou and limr: you may not have meant for your comment to sound condescending, but it did. The OP and two other members--three including me--have now pointed this out. We can't all be nuts. :) If it was meant to somehow be helpful, maybe you could clarify what you were trying to say for us. If it wasn't, then--once again--why bother posting it? Your posting of your zoo photo to help the OP calibrate his screen-- that's the kind of thing that is helpful. (I like that shot very much, by the way.)

Vulgar language and name-calling definitely bring down the quality of the forum.

so bringing up the same point over and over after its been long dead and you see that i was offering good advice after that you continue to bring up old crap and be a .. [emoji90]
ENOUGH!

Foster is the man. Those dirt guys have style for miles. I've been meaning to get the old bike up and running.

Yeah often when I have images where the color is just beyond fixing I will dump it for BW.

This is the best advice I've received here, not sure if my original was from runnah or someone else, but it often saves an otherwise good photo with terrible colour.

The following is sincere and non-hostile but true as I see it

If the exposure of the picture is crap to start with, unless it has some other redeeming value, stop screwing with it, dump it.

You aren't learning anything useful here except trying to make a hopeless picture look a bit better.

Go back to square one, learn to actually take well exposed pictures and then start trying to take good pictures.

The camera, if working well and treated reasonably will do 95% of the work.
Clearly you have screwed up the 5% you were entrusted with; learn what you are doing wrong and stop wasting time on the throways that should be in the waste bin

Name calling? Wow.

OK, let's turn this thread around. Gallagher came here looking for help and this thread seems to have taken a nose dive. I would rather offer help and perhaps in the future it can help others out as well. As light is fading, it is important to remember your camera needs either a slower shutter speed, higher ISO, or larger aperture. So in this case I believe the lens was already opened up. The next choice would be to lower the shutter speed. Since the deer were somewhat stationary I would have shot closer to 1/200th-1/250th some may go lower, but I find that is a decent speed to stop motion blur in this situation. This picture was about 2.5 stops underexposed. Going from 1/1000 to 1/250th would have given 2 stops. The next option at the risk of more noise and less Dynamic range is to raise your ISO. This was shot at ISO 100 which in my humble opinion is a little low with fading light. It obviously depends on your camera and what noise level you are comfortable with. I personally use Auto-ISO most of the time which gives the camera a set parameter to work in...

To the OP is your camera set for Auto White Balance or have you accidentally changed the setting?

I gave the deer a go with processing. I raised the exposure by 2.5. This resulted in obvious noise from the underexposure. I masked the deer and used a background noise reduction. I also got rid of some CA. I then selected the deer and used a little localized NR and sharpening. The white balance seemed way off on the cool side... It was a tough shot to fix so I did what I could. Yes obviously it would have been better to get it right in camera, but I had the same thing happen to me with an Eagle when I was starting out and if it wasn't with the kind help of others, I don't know if I would have the knowledge I have now..

Anyways..

I finally got time to check the white balance of my camera yesterday (I've been swamp lately), and some how it was set on indoor incandescent lighting! I don't know if I did this some how by mistake or what. But I have been reading about using a coffee filter to set white balance, so I'm going to try that!

You did a great job editing, thank you!!!

I finally got time to check the white balance of my camera yesterday (I've been swamp lately), and some how it was set on indoor incandescent lighting! I don't know if I did this some how by mistake or what. But I have been reading about using a coffee filter to set white balance, so I'm going to try that!

You did a great job editing, thank you!!!

if you shoot raw you can just leave it on auto and wont ever have to worry about it..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back