Some of My First Portraits Ever

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by JackRabbit, Dec 14, 2009.

1. JackRabbit

JackRabbit TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Set-Up: Canon EOS Rebel T1i
    18-55mm
    55-250mm Telephoto
    Pop-up flash fired on the two photos with the red sweatshirt.

Brand new to photography; just got my first DSLR two weeks ago. Since then I've been shooting like crazy. I REALLY need critiques so give me your worst! Tear me apart, I won't be offended ahah.

----
    (By the way, that isn't noise on the print on the model's shirt, the print is just a little bit worn.)
    [​IMG]

----
    [​IMG]

----
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. JackRabbit

JackRabbit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Gahhh so many views but still no critiques! I'll take anything you got people. I'm dying to hear what you have to say.

3. White99z

White99z TPF Noob!

I like them all a lot. I'm not the world's best critic.. actually, I just ordered my first DSLR tonight. The first is my favorite. My only wish... I wish you could see the dripping water on the fountain, although I don't know what to change to capture it.

4. JackRabbit

JackRabbit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Personally I think that that would take away from the overall focal point of the image. I could be wrong. I'm pretty new to this also. But the focal point is the person, so I think that if you could see the water more clearly, it would take away from the overall image.

5. JackRabbit

JackRabbit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    -_____-

That's me.. ahahaha.

Like I said, I just got into photography like two weeks ago so I haven't had time to do any real photo shoots with other people because of finals and whatnot

6. chip

chip TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    your pictures are actually great for a beginner! When taking portraits, we usually do a head shot (shoulder up), half shot (waist up) or full shot (whole body). Try to stick to one of these three shots would be nice. The pop up flash did a good job filling in.

7. jnm

jnm TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    so for two weeks, not bad!

the first one it looks like you found the one place to sit in the shade. you are on the dark side while the background is either properly exposed or blown out. you also have a lot more light on certain parts of the body like arm than the important parts like the face. basically there's too wide a range of light. find more even lighting.

8. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    MUCH BETTER.
    love #1 - colors, composition, you didn't get sun light in your face - GOOD JOB!
    #2 - add soft filter :). Now look at your hat in the hand and background - practically indistinguishable :( keep in mind to isolate your subject from background using lighting/dof/color manipulation, etc
    #3: you look jaundiced :(

keep shooting and PPing

9. JackRabbit

JackRabbit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    1. Why thank you sir :)

2. How do you add a soft filter? I use Photoshop CS4 and I have a decently extensive background in graphics designing so can you just give me a path to find it? (e.g. file >> save)

3. Hmm thats weird. It looks like a nice even tan on my end. I'll fix the white balance in a little bit though if you really think I look like that

10. IgsEMT

Photos NOT OK to edit

LOL
    Soft Filter: you can google some actions for CS4 that will do that. I use Nik Software - Love their filters. You can also add a little amount of blur just to soften it up. It's just my flavor, doesn't have to be that way, but I think the image is asking for it.
    3: could be my monitor then. Need to check and readjust it yet again :D

11. JackRabbit

JackRabbit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just made myself sound silly didn't I?

12. IgsEMT

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No you didn't. My view is that if one person is asking the Q it means 10ppl are thinking about it but afraid to ask. Don't be afraid to ask Qs, that is how you improve. My Nikon mentor passed away few months ago. He was the guy I worked for/with for nearly 10yrs and he was goto guy on Nikon gear. After few yrs of using this brand, only last week I learned the difference b/n TTL and Auto on the flashes. Up until then, it was mostly manual (b/c I know that) and ttl if didn't have time to think or just didn't feel like metering.
    Point is, if you don't ask - you don't learn, you don't improve.
    :thumbup: