:::Some of my new Work (Portraits)::: Feedback appreciated

sdotbphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sdotb.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
some of my new portraits I did recently let me know what you guys think id appreciate it.

for more of my work check out

SdotB

IMG_2300resize.jpg

IMG_9675-2resize.jpg

IMG_2082resize-2-2.jpg

IMG_1211resize.jpg

IMG_9805resize.jpg

IMG_2867resize.jpg

IMG_2688resize.jpg

Why would you repost the same thread you already started.

people told me that I should post it in the professional gallery that it doesnt belong in the beginners section so thats why I put it in here.

yes of course I was paid for my work and a lot of money too but thats not what its about. let the work and clients speak for itself.

I love them. what was your setup? those are the type of photos id love to be able to produce. number 1, 5 and 6 are my fav. Please help a brother out lol

Im sure you want us to tell you that they are cool, which they are cool shots but they really are not portraits in a classical sense. What do you like about them?

people told me that I should post it in the professional gallery that it doesnt belong in the beginners section so thats why I put it in here.

That was... odd.

Nice pictures, but I don't like how they are all breaking their necks to look at something outside of the frame.

The vignette is ridiculous. I'm sorry, but I don't think these belong in the professional forum. Just because you photographed talent doesn't mean that you photographed them well. I think sometimes people get lost when they see photographs of "famous people", but whereas I don't value the fame of those people (I don't care for the genre of music), I can see past that and establish that they're photos of people looking off to the side of the frame.

If the vignette were to look the least bit realistic, it would be due to light falloff on the corners of the frame, but you were shooting on f/20 or so rendering the entire scene in focus. So it just looks out of place and tacky.

It's a shame you've got that full frame body and you're not putting it to good use.

I disagree Tyler. There is some cool stuff here, but it's kinda hit and miss. They are all off a bit, IMO, but he's on the right track for sure.

I disagree Tyler. There is some cool stuff here, but it's kinda hit and miss. They are all off a bit, IMO, but he's on the right track for sure.

Having your subjects all stare away from the camera is in the right direction? I do like the lighting but the vignetting just does not fit the mood of the subject matter. He does have some smokin portraits on the site and some great car work.

Having your subjects all stare away from the camera is in the right direction? I do like the lighting but the vignetting just does not fit the mood of the subject matter. He does have some smokin portraits on the site and some great car work.

Yes. Dont you watch South Park. Artists/musicians have to look off into the distance like they dont care their picture is being taken....... :er:

Seriously though, I agree with the "hit and miss" comment. Looks like you are searching for (but very close to) a particular style. I really like the atmosphere in #2. By far the best image of the bunch.

my 2 cents ... i agree vignetting way too much ... i'd pull back at least 40% ... especially in shots 5, 6, and 7. I also agree that there needs to be a more shallow depth of field ... everything is competing for the viewers eyes.

Shot 2 is the best of the series (in my opinion) ... however i would have removed the two glasses to the right of frame and i would have dodge/burned the right side of the frame ... your eye goes to the brightest part of the image ... and that light keeps drawing my eye away from the subject. And i think the color treatment is a little too much ... the skin tone looks jaundice ... i would have pulled the yellows and oranges added some more blues (slightly).

But all that said ... the thing that i think could improve these shots the most is paying attention to composition ... image 1 has trees sticking out of his head ... i would have moved to recompose him so that he was to the left of frame so the trees were to the right of him and he was in a cleaner spot. Image 2 has leading lines that look like wings attached to his body ... i would have lowered the viewpoint and put him more in the sky. Shot 4 he has rock wings. Shot 5 he has a roof nose and if you moved slightly to the left he wouldn't have that little part of the roof sticking out his neck/shoulder. Shot 6 he has a mountain decapitating his head. Shot 7 he has a building decapitating his head (again changing your shooting angle would help).

And one other observation ... for the most of these shots the subject is dead center ... the reason shots 1 and 2 work best is because they use rule of thirds ... making the images much more interesting. The others end up looking like they were taken with a point and shoot camera and over processed in photoshop.

I also checked out your site ... i like your automotive stuff better. But all is a little heavy handed with PP. Especially the HDR stuff ... too much haloing.

One rule of thumb that usually works for me ... when i process things (adjusting saturation, HDR, vinetting, sharpening) ... when i get it to a point i like ... i pull it back 15 %. I've worked in the 3d animation industry for 10 years ... it's something i learned during those years ... and i find it applies to almost everything.

And to end this book of a reply ... this is all just one mans opinion ... not right or wrong ... just my observations.

Most reactions

Back