Some of my picks from the Air Show @ Luke AFB

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by boomer, Mar 25, 2009.

1. boomer

boomer No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Let me know what you think. this was my first time taking pictures like these. Was also wishing i had a nice 70-300 lens or something.

Here's the whole set:
    Air Show at Luke AFB 09

A few picks:
    1)
    [​IMG]
    2)
    [​IMG]
    3)
    [​IMG]
    4)
    [​IMG]
    5)
    [​IMG]
    6)
    [​IMG]

2. Unmanedpilot

Unmanedpilot TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Very nice :) I see you went on Sunday, I was there on Saturday and the F-22 had some issues and had to land before the heritage flight...

I do have a 75-300mm lens, and they aren't quite enough for many of the shots. I at least wish I had a 400mm. There was a guy standing next to me with a 200-400 with a teleconverter, I wish I could have seen some of his shots!

My only tips would be to generally not shoot into the sun. And when your taking photos of prop planes, using a slow shutter would make it look nicer. When you take the photo with a quick shutter you freeze the propeller and it looks unnatural.

On #4 though I think what you did was just fine, when you use a slow shutter you would naturally have to pan with the aircraft, but with the tail in the shot it wouldn't look as good that way.

3. 16ale16

16ale16 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    In my opinion the airplane is too small. There's too much sky. Crop it!

4. boomer

boomer No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

Thank you for the tips! all very true! the first few shots i took were coming out a little blurry, so i upped my shutter speed without thinking about the prop planes. i will try that for sure next time.

How was the wind on Saturday? My camera was COVERED in dust by the time i left on Sunday :(

I do agree to an extent and almost all my pictures have been cropped already. i was just worried about them looking too pixelated if i kept going with the cropping. i was only using a 24-120 VR lens :meh:

5. Unmanedpilot

Unmanedpilot TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wind was fine on Saturday, but we missed some of the displays. I didn't see a jump team or the C-17. And the F-22 had whatever problem like I said before and didn't fly with the heritage flight.