Some of my work

PrestonJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$548805_431626413567499_887675907_n.jpg$314909_204776912919118_2553318_n.jpg$Horsepoundflls.jpg
3-4 different shots I have taken at different times, that I though you guys could appreciate as much as I do.
I have over 15k photos to sort through, so I have many different ones I work on editing. and critiques or otherwise advice on how they could be edited or shot better please, let me know. Trying to dump all the memory cards now so I can go out next week.
More to come later, enjoy folks.
_Preston

Attachments

• $StoneRiverBTLFLD1.jpg
    $StoneRiverBTLFLD1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 96
The way I think of it, a 'snapshot' is a picture that I take for a very specific reason but I don't really care how 'artistic' the image is. When I'm on vacation, for example, and I see a funny sign or a cute cat, or someone I'm with is doing something silly...I take the image for the sake of keeping that memory but not because there's anything particularly special about the image itself.

I think the reason why your shots were described as 'snap-shotty' is because there's not enough about the image itself that would speak to anyone else. The first shot is a flower. It's a pretty flower. So what was so special about it that made it important enough to photograph it? Was it particularly colorful? Was there a really interesting ray of light hitting it? Why did it stand out? You might have these answers in your memory, but none of that translates into the picture. There's nothing that makes it interesting enough - visually speaking - to any of us who weren't there with you. It feels like 'just a snapshot' of a flower - taken without a lot of thought into how the photo itself would turn out, but with the intention of just remembering that you saw a pretty flower.

But at least the flower and the trees (I assume it's not supposed to be sideways?) have clear subjects. The pictures of the trees is stronger because it's much easier to see what was interesting enough to take a picture: nice sky with some fluffy clouds, some pretty light hitting the tops of the trees, perfectly still water that created an interesting reflection of the trees. Both are pictures that could be stronger with more attention to placement, lighting, effects, but I can still sort of get why you would take them.

The third and fourth pictures, though...what are they pictures of? What am I supposed to pay attention to? The subjects aren't clear - there's nothing in either picture that stands out.

Someone else might have a different definition of 'snapshot', but that's just my 2 cents.

I like the flower. I'm not really sure what #3 is - I see a tree and maybe a waterfall or something behind it? A link to a larger image would be good. I automatically take 60% off #2 for being uploaded sideways.

Hey guys and gals, thanks for the responses thus far... Yes I should have gave better details on the shooting and meaning of each pic, so I will do so now.
#1: Was shot just as the sun went down, and it had just rained. Was using a standard Canon 18-55mm on full auto. was able to get a very nice clear shot of the statem, (what i was focusing on).
#2" Done on a tripod intentionally sideways to give that other-wold effect, it looked to me like a four leaf clover, but it was done with a little GE snap shot camera.
#3: Was done with a 18-55mm lens on Landscape. I don't remeber F-stop, but ISO was at 6400, and on manual focus (tripod was in use). The picture of the canyon like structure to the right was about the size of a football field. I'm sorry for no depth of field, Poor size on that one.
#4: Plain and simple was my first try at doing a B&W photo using Canon's editing software. Was shot with an ND8 filter, and an 18-55mm 3200 ISO, and AF. Was trying to see what i could do as far as B&W photography editing went. Tried making the wheat grass, and trees on the far right stand out.
Thanks for the info guys, going to do some more later!
_Preston

The main thing is just to keep shooting and you will eventually take great shots that make people go wow.

Regarding photo #4. It's my understanding that a ND8 filter blocks 3 stops of light, usually used to reduce shutter speed. You noted that you used an ISO of 3200, if you used an ISO of 400 without the ND filter you would have gotten the same exposure with less noise.

Most reactions

Back